Sunday, December 1, 2013

deeper, stronger


Twelve years ago I looked into the face of a handsome man whom I had become quite smitten with and pledged my lifelong love.  Anticipation and excitement illuminated our young faces.  We couldn't wait to begin our lives together as husband and wife.  Our hearts were full of dreams - what joy and fun was to be had!  I didn't believe that I could love him any more than I did on that blessed day, 12 years ago.

But I was wrong.

Now I look at a handsome man, whose face is a bit more weathered and hair, a bit more thin.  I see a man who has stood by my side despite my fears and insecurities; who has forgiven my frustrations, complaints and times of disrespect.  He has lovingly cared for me as I carried our children within my womb and cheered me through their entrances into the world.  I see a man whose arms I have run to countless times - in moments of pain and desperation, as well as moments of exuberant rejoicing.  I see a man who has held our babies throughout the watches of the night, needing comfort due to throbbing ear infections, or soothing from drug withdrawal tremors. I see a strong man who has courageously and fearlessly given his heart, time and time again, to fatherless children, loving and devoting himself to them.  I have seen lives changed by his love.  I see a man whom I have hurt with and cried with throughout the valleys of life.  And a man whom I have stood beside with right hands raised as we pledged our forever love and commitment to our precious little girls in a courtroom.  I see a fiercely protective daddy who would give his life for our children.  He is a man who has literally carried me up to bed when my joints were wrought with arthritis and consumed with pain.  I see a man who is dependable, hard working, devoted, & committed, a man who graciously serves and sacrifices for his family without complaint.  He is my constant companion and closest friend.

He no longer looks into the face of a young bride who spent all day readying herself and says, "I'll love you forever", but instead looks at an often worn, exhausted, unshowered, blue jean clad mama and still he declares his undying love for me.

This love is so much stronger, so much deeper.  If our love has grown so in the first dozen years together, I can only imagine how much greater our love will be a few more dozen years from now.




1 comment:

Jan Smith said...

What a nice tribute to your husband, Terra!