Monday, January 30, 2017

Why?

I nestled my son's pillows around him in the hospital bed that had just become our temporary home.  I had been his mom for just 5 weeks and we were still learning this dance, but I did know that he loved to be pampered, doted on and adored.  His blood count had tanked, he was dizzy and tired, but I tried to make light of his situation as I flitted about, trying to make him comfortable and maybe even get him to crack a smile.  It worked.

"Mama funny," he muttered in his sweet, broken English.  His smile was soft, and didn't quite reach his eyes as usual, but he was tired.

Soon, many doctors, residents and nurses filled the room, asking questions and assessing my son.  His situation wasn't critical, but concerning.  I answered their questions to the best of my ability, but there was still so much we didn't know about his history.

One doctor looked at me and asked, "Did you know?"

I was a bit stunned, but clarified, "About his thalassemia? Yes, that's actually why we pursued him."

Her brow furrowed a bit as she thought, and then dared to ask me the question, "why?"

It completely caught me off guard.  I wish I had the eloquence in that moment to say what has been running through my head weeks after the question was posed, but looking at my son in the bed and feeling tears start to pool in my eyes, I kept it simple.  "Because he deserves a family."

And he does.  But there's more to it than that.  I've now been asked several times about our motivation for adopting an 11 year old boy, who has many medical needs, so my answer is a bit more prepared.  Why do we do?  Why are we passionate about caring for the orphan?

We are followers of Christ.  He has loved us so much that we are compelled to love others.  It is His heart for the fatherless that drives us to care for the fatherless.  We are so amazed that in spite of our weaknesses and the many times we fail, He will still use us and give us the privilege of being their family, of loving them.  It is only His work in our lives that brings about anything good, for we are far from adequate on our own.

Yes, these children need families.

They need love.

They need medical care unavailable to them elsewhere.

They deserve the chance a full, abundant living.

They need to hear of the love of their Maker and the purposes He has for them.

And we get to be a part of that because we've been loved in such a sacrificial, unconditional, steadfast way.  We have been shown mercy and grace that we are undeserving of.  It's all because of Him.

What a privilege.

No comments: