Thursday, January 15, 2009

A few favorite funnies

As we were flying into CA for Christmas vacation, Kylee and I were discussing how it was Poppy's very last day of work for the rest of his life as he was retiring. Kylee pondered that for a bit, then replied, "Wow, Poppy saved his last day for such a special time when we were coming to visit?"

Also while flying, Colson was coloring a picture to give to Grammy and Poppy. He stated he was done and I looked at a very unfinished project. "Aren't you going to finish it, Cole?" "No, Mom, I'm gonna let Grammy finish it. Remember, Christmas is about giving and sharing, not thinking about ourselves!"

Upon arriving in California, both boys jumped out the car and started running in circles on the lawn screaming with excitement, "GRASS! GRASS! GRASS!" What a novelty for my Wisconsin boys in the middle of winter!

On the second day of vacation, Kaden had the privilege of running errands with his Daddy and Poppy. As they drove, he was blown away by the mountains in the background, "WOW! Those are SO big! Not even Jesus could climb those!!" (For those of you who have never been, Wisconsin is very flat!!)

The boys have been very excited about being 4 and feel very big now. One morning we were getting ready to go to Grammy and Poppy's church and Colson says, "Do I look 4 Mom?" Of course I answered that he most certainly does. "If I stand on my tippy toes will I look 5?"

On another occasion, Cole was telling Grammy all his plans of being a missionary pilot in Africa when he grows up and she said, "Oh, Cole, I love hearing all the plans that go through that little head of yours!" Colson replied, "Oh no, Grammy, my head is not little. I'm 4 now, so I have a big head!"

At Grammy and Poppy's church, I introduced our kids to some of the kids of an acquaintance of ours. One of the boys was 6 years old and Kaden stated, "Well, that kid is old, but he's not as old as my Poppy. NO one is as old as my Poppy!"

As we were walking up to the home of my dear college friend for her son's first birthday, Kylee asked, "Mom, is Mr. Lei (her husband) Chinese?" "Yes, that's right, Kylee. Good memory!" Ky nodded proudly then asked, "So, does he speak Spanish?" (That's another thing about WI, it's not very culturally diverse - in fact Milwaukee is sadly one of the most segregated cities in the US. Once while driving Jim to work through different parts of Milwaukee Kylee asked, "Wow, mom, did we drive all the way to Africa?" Hilarious and sad all at the same time!)

Also while in CA, the boys were trying to figure out why I called Grammy and Poppy "mom" and "dad" when they weren't actually my mom and dad. I tried to explain that when I married Daddy I took his name and became a part of his family. Kaden thought hard, then replied, "but your real name is Mommy, right?" Oh how I love the name Mommy!

As were returning home on the airplane, Colson asked, "Have we been gone long enough for it to be grassy again?" Sorry, bud, a few more months to go.

Also on our trip home we had a lay over in Minneapolis. As we waited, Kaden told me he loved me and gave me several sweet little kisses. "Mom, can we be married now 'cuz we kissed a lot?"

Once at home again, Kaden came upstairs from the basement playroom all decked out in his construction gear. "Mom, I'm gonna fix your couch!" He told me, then ran into the family room to get to work. Shortly after he returned with his plastic measuring tape in hand, "Mom, your couch is 49 big!"

My boys have figured out their seasons, at least the seasons that they know growing up in Wisconsin: "snowy time" and "grassy time".

No comments: