Thursday, January 28, 2010

I choose Jesus

This morning after quizzing the boys on their "first word flash cards", I opened up the Bible to review the story of Lazarus, which the boys heard yesterday at church. I started with the usual questions, "What do you remember?" "What do you think that means for you?" and they answered with varying degrees of interest - Colson, intent on remembering the details and applying it to his life; Kaden more interested in getting the discussion over with so that he could move on to other more fun things on the agenda.

We related Lazarus' resurrection to that of Jesus' just a short time later, and then to our own lives - that believing in Jesus will give us a life in which we may die on earth, but live forever in eternity with God. Colson stated, "I know this mom - that's why I keep telling you I want to ask Jesus in my heart but you never let me!"

Sound strange? Well, it's true. For the past couple weeks Colson has been telling me that he wants Jesus to live in his heart and has asked, "In the morning, will you pray with me, Mommy?" or, as we drive, "When we get home, can you please pray with me?" I respond, "of course!" but then I wait. Sometimes I even distract. It's not that I don't think a young child can believe, but I want it to be important enough to my child that they are insistent that it needs to be done; that they are desperate to be saved and to follow Jesus. I want to help them know and understand Jesus, but I want the decision and desire to follow Him to be their very own.

So, once again, I distract. "Sure, Cole, we can do that, but wouldn't you like to watch Sid the Science kid first?" Kaden proclaims enthusiastically, "Yeah - let's watch!" While Colson opposes my idea, "No, Mom, I want to ask Jesus in my heart!" Exactly what I was waiting for. I turn on the TV for Kaden, then take Cole's hand and walk with him to another room. We sit face to face, holding hands and I begin.

"Why do you want Jesus in your heart, Colson?"

"Because I want him to be my Savior."

"What do you need to be saved from?"

"All my sins, Mommy. Like not sharing and not obeying."

"That's right, Cole, but can't you just stop doing that and be good enough to be saved?"

"No, because I still can't stop!"

"What if you try really hard to be good?"

"No, I still can't."

"You're right, buddy, that's why Jesus came for us. What did He do for you, Colson?"

"He died on the cross to take away my sins and so I can live with him in heaven!"

"That's right, but how do you think we should live on earth before we get to heaven?"

"Loving others and helping people."

"That's right, but sometimes it's not easy to do! Do you know that if we follow Jesus, He promises to help you? You just have to ask."

Colson nods, then asks, "can we pray now, Mom?"

We bow our heads and I begin. Colson takes his time as he prays, so thoughtful about every word. I am surprised that emotion actually fills him as his voice quivers through his words and his requests. At the end, both of us have eyes shining with joyful tears and we embrace. "Sweetie, I am so happy for you. That is the best decision you could ever make!" His face lights up and he wants to call his loved ones and share this exciting news. "I asked Jesus in my heart, I am saved!" He declares.

Each of us has to make our own personal decision to follow Christ, or to reject Him as Lord and Savior. I am so grateful that today, my son chose to follow Jesus.

5 comments:

PapaNana said...

Congratulations, Cole! We love you muchisimo! We are amazed that you understand so much, and we're glad that Jesus told the disciples not to stop the little ones from coming to Him. We'll see you in heaven, Colson -- and hopefully many times before that! Love, Papa and Nana

Anonymous said...

Way to go Cole. I am soo proud of you. My heart is leaging with joy. i love you soo much. Can't wait to see you tonight so we can celebrate.

-Daddy

Amy said...

That's so amazing, Cole! It brought tears to my eyes. Praise the Lord for a faithful mommy who taught you about your need for Him! Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Colson, we are so very happy and excited for you!!! Thank you so much for calling us to tell of your decision to ask Jesus to be your Savior. That is the BEST decision you will ever make! All the angels in heaven are rejoicing over you!!

We love you sooo much!
Grammy and Poppy
X0X0

Kate said...

Oh what sweet wonder! Congrats to Cole and what joy to you!! I can only hope and pray that my girls will be touch by Christ in the same way.