Wednesday, January 13, 2010

when my heart is breaking


Today as I drove with my boys, we were listening to the radio and heard this awesome song called "Your Hands" by JJ Heller.

While listening, Colson pipes in from the back, "Mom, my heart is breaking." I ask him why, to which he responds, "Because I miss Adrian, Mom. I want him to come back so bad."

Oh, how well I understand the pain. "I know, Sweetie, I miss him too." I look into the rear view mirror at my son's face fighting emotion and tears instantly fill my eyes.

Kaden then jumps in, "Well, my heart is already broken into so many pieces all over the floor!"

Though the answer might appear to be obvious, my Kaden can be a bit off beat and I never know what he is thinking, so I ask, "What's breaking your heart, Kade?"

"I miss Adrian too. Why can't he stay with us all the way until we go up into heaven?" Kaden answers, " I want him to come back!"

As we continue to drive, we pray for Adrian, and I pray for my boys to feel loved and comforted. When we arrive home, I pull a sobbing Colson in my arms and hold him tight, reminding him that God cares so much and holds him so tightly in His hands. Kaden states, "Oh, man, you guys are almost going to make me cry!" He always knows how to lighten the mood.

My prayer for my kids throughout this time has not been that they wouldn't hurt, but that when they do, they will feel comforted; that they will always be able to look back and remember experiencing God as a God of great comfort. Because He is... and He longs to comfort us.

"Praise be to God, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God."
II Corinthians 1:3-4


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing that moment. i miss him too. love you guys.

-Daddy