Saturday, January 14, 2012

show-n-tell

It is impossible not to love our sweet little Elle. All who have met her have been drawn to her smiles, cuddles, giggles and gentle, content manner. She loves people and will flash her million dollar smile the moment we enter the room. Every member of our family, from daddy to toddler, is proud of our baby girl. It was no surprise when each of the boys asked if they could please bring her to show and tell to share with their classmates. She visited Colson's class first and he told them shyly about her and made her giggle for all to see (no one can do it like Colson!). When he was asked what 'foster care' was, he looked at me and allowed me to explain. But when a child stated, "so, she's not really your sister then, is she?" I was surprised when Colson adamantly declared, "Yes, she is!" Though I took no offense whatsoever to this child's innocent, honest question, my Colson was defensive of his very important role. Melt my heart.

When Elle visited Kaden's class, it was another experience completely. He giddily held her while he sat criss-cross-applesauce in the circle. He jumped up excitedly during his turn and talked all about her and everything she could do. When a child again asked what foster care was, I expected to explain it as I had in Colson's class, but there was no need. Kaden went right on to explain, "Well, first you have to sign up. And then, you have to take a lot of tests. If you pass all the tests then they put you a list and they start calling you and we always say "yes!" and go pick up our baby girls in the hospital!" So very matter-of-fact. So very Kaden.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I never would have thought of show and tell but it perfectly fits your boys! I can just imagine them there. What a wonderful story. Thanks so much for sharing.