Sunday, January 15, 2012

"mine"

I have called you by name, child you are mine.
Isaiah 43:1

I love my daughter with all my heart. But I won't pretend that it's always pretty and perfect. She is the definition of the "strong willed child." At almost 2 years old, she's outspoken, opinionated and will let all the world know if her desires have not been met... immediately. I have to say that in nearly 9 years of being a mommy, this is the first time I've dealt with flailing, tortuous tantrums on the floor, screams that cannot be quieted and fear of going out in public. At times, I have realized how very much I prefer the comfort of our home where correction and time outs can be followed through with predictability and where I can scoop up my screaming toddler (who refuses to be quieted or redirected) and allow her to finish her tantrum in her crib if need be.

Each and every day I have prayed for endurance and patience, but have still find myself often sighing heavily with frustration at the 50th tantrum of the day.

But it has been through this that God has reminded me of His great love for me. He says, "I have redeemed you, I have called you by name. Child, you are Mine!"


It's not when I'm well behaved and serving faithfully and smiling joyfully that He claims me, but in the depth of my selfishness and disgust, unworthy of His love that He says, "you are Mine."

When I'm frustrated and impatient... you are Mine.

When I'm arrogant and proud... you are Mine.

When I'm selfish and snippy.... you are Mine.

When I speak to my husband disrespectfully or raise my voice at my kids... you are Mine.

When I battle insecurity and feel I have nothing to offer... you are Mine.

When I take for granted the price that was paid for my life and salvation... you are Mine.


And when I look at my precious little girl, I want to have the same response. In the midst of her tantrums and screams and demands, when she throws her self onto the ground and wails away, when she screams "no!" and runs off in willful defiance, no matter how many times in a day...

... she is mine.











No comments: