
I have always loved, and frequently write about, the lessons I learn from my little ones. There are so many little life lessons every day, and I know that this is just the beginning! As we were sitting around the table at dinner a few nights ago, we were talking about the good qualities in each of the kids and Kylee got excited to create an alliteration with the words we were using. "Mom! Listen, we can all have words that start with 'S'. You called me sweet, Kaden is silly, and Colson is (think, think, think) SMART!" She was so proud of herself, and quite accurate too. Kaden is always trying to be funny and make others smile and laugh; Kylee has a tender, sweet heart and, like her Mom, is often lead by her emotions rather than her mind; and Colson is a thoughtful, deep thinker that often comes up with simple statements that can blow me away. This week has been full of them.
For the last 2 weeks, Colson has had some frequent symptoms of aches, pains and fatigue. After a bout of abdominal pain woke him from his nighttime sleep and caused him to cry in pain for an hour, we decided to take him in. Our pediatrician is great, and after a thorough exam he stated that he wanted to have some blood work drawn. I looked at Colson and told him carefully that he would need to have a pokie today. He furrowed his brow and pursed his lips (his very serious, deep-in-thought look) then took a breath and stated, "Mommy, Jesus already knew that. We just know now." He seemed to be able to rest assured that because Jesus knew a pokie was coming, he had nothing to fear. He very bravely, without tears, took the pokie, watching as they drew 4 vials of blood from him.
Well, the blood work was abnormal and the symptoms continued, so we had a week of testing and frequent calls with the doctor. I felt very concerned for my little boy (a bad combination of a nurse who knows the possibilities and a worried mommy who doesn't want to see her son suffer) and it was a wonderful comfort to think of Cole's statement, "Jesus already knows." It does make it so much easier to walk the road before us knowing God is already there and knows what's coming!! (And, for an update, things have been OK- minor problems that are being resolved and the symptoms are improving...we just need his blood work to continue to improve as well.)
Another recent experience in our lives was the possibility of taking in a newborn baby for a 6 week time period. Initially, I recognized that to most, our lives are already off the charts on the craziness spectrum with the load we have. However, my heart soon took over my mind's ability to think and I decided that we could make it work - anything is possible for just 6 weeks, right?? Well, I started to take to heart the good intentions of dear friends who thought it would be too overwhelming, but nothing got to me as much as the thoughtful wisdom of my 4 year old boy. At a family meeting discussing the possibility, Colson was pensive, then looked at me intently and said, "I think that might be too much for our family, Mom." He was absolutely right. The decision was easy to make after that.
****
Another time, I cannot remember what was missing, but there was something that I was searching for. I felt flustered and my kids must have sensed it. Colson furrowed his brow once again (the sure sign that something important is about to come out of that sweet little mouth of his) and stated, "Mom, you can't take it to heaven with you anyway." I laughed, then teared up, then held him in a strong embrace. His little statement brought me back to reality, reminding me of what was truly important... and what was not.
Lastly, on a bit of a lighter note, I had a bad hair experience this past week. I've been going to the same place for nearly a year now, and have always been pleased with the results. However, on this day I returned home with a head full of splotchy, chunky blond streaks and spots. Just not the natural, blended in look that I've always gone for. When I returned home, Colson looked at me and said, "Mommy, you look like a funny zebra!" Kaden heard the statement, looked at me and broke out laughing. Soon, both boys were in hysterics. I couldn't help but laugh along with them, though I had felt on the verge of tears just moments before.
The following day I had an appointment to "fix" the hair and the boys were fortunate enough to get to come with (ha ha). As we got in the car, Colson proceeded to tell me I was "boootiful" and how much he loved me. He sure knows how to get to me. When we arrived at the hair salon, Cole walked up to the desk and declared, "You need to fix my Mommy's funny giraffe hair!" It was just what I needed to lighten up the mood!!


5 comments:
Cole,
You are a very precious little boy and quite SMART too! I hope you feel better soon. I can hardly wait to see you all again!
Love from Nana
Hi Terra,
Those little ones sure do know how to keep life in perspective don't they? I hope Colson's feeling better and everything's ok.
love ya
Hi!!! God knew that you would have two boys (as colson would say, God alreadys knows) a Smart boy to show how life is not in our hands and a Silly boy to lighten any mood to uplift everyones hearts...
Love you all...
Hi Terra....Ya know, I learned a huge amount from you girls when you were little (and even now that you are grown up.) You especially always had these amazing insights into every day life. Like the time you walked out of the kitchen holdling one of your Mom's internationally famous chocolate chip cookies and said "If I eat this cookie will it go down inside of me and clunk baby Jesus on the head and make him cry?"
Tee,
Out of the mouths of babes comes such wisdom. It would seem that simple truths can only come from little minds that haven't been polluted with years of worldly living. Thanks for sharing these sweet lessons.
I love you, Cole!
Mom/Grammy
Post a Comment