Monday, February 2, 2009

you're gonna miss this


Exhaustive. Just one of the many words to describe motherhood. At the end of a day full of laundry, dishes, sweeping, food preparation, nose wiping, bun wiping, bath giving, verse quizzing, discipline giving, toilet scrubbing, game playing, book reading, appointment making and phonetic practicing, well... I often feel worn out and quite exhausted. I am one who really tries to embrace this precious stage in life, understanding just how quickly time does pass. Still, there are days when going about the aforementioned that it is easy to forget to cherish the moments; when I am tempted to ask (after the 3rd cup of spilled milk), "when will you grow up?"; when I wonder if this is truly what I signed up for. During one of those hectic moments while hurrying to get the baby to a visit, the country song "You're gonna miss this" came on the radio. I looked into the rear view mirror and saw my 2 boys - so big now at 4 years old - chatting about back and forth, full of funny faces and crazy expressions. Tears started rolling down my face as I listened to the words - the chorus, especially - of this song. Even though my kids are still "young" at 4, 4 and 5 1/2, there is so much that I already miss!! Each stage passes so very quickly! I hope that every day I will remind myself that in the future I will miss these adorable, yet exhaustive, days!!



You're gonna miss this.
You're gonna want this back.
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast.
These are some good times,
So take a look around.
You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this.













































Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

4 comments:

Family of Four and Growing said...

So, so true... I appreciate your reflections on motherhood and of the preciousness of our little gifts (or not so little any more).

Sarah B.

Jon and Amy said...

Oh, I loved looking at your pictures,Terra!!! Thank you for sharing all of those! Mommyhood is SO worth it! Especially when you have pictures like those to look back on to remind you just how special this all is!!!

Java with the Johnsons said...

i sooo appreciated this blog. i am in the middle of the craziness...i have 3 month old twin boys and a 21 month old daughter.
since my daughter was born i have always tried to enjoy every stage...not wish for the future or long for the past... honestly it is hard sometimes in the middle of nursing the boys, diaper changes that come in sets of 3, etc...things are so crazy that i don't feel like i have time to think about enjoying it...sometimes i don't even know what day it is. :)
i guess i especially need this today since i've been up since 3:30 am. :)
oh...i'm with NTM...sheila told me about your blog.

Anonymous said...

That's a very effective reminder, Terra -- the pictures prove there is a lot behind you, stages you won't be going through again. I thoroughly enjoyed your visual summary of life with your three kiddos. I always enjoy your blogs!
Love, Jan