
This is a big day!! For 3 years, 2 months and 7 days my nephew, Connor, has battled leukemia. And we praise the Lord that he has won!! Hospitalizations, surgeries, several trips to the ER, spinal taps, blood draws, chemotherapy, baldness, swelling, infections, isolation, more doctor's visits than most people have in a life time, questions from a child about his own mortality, fear and grief- what a long journey it has been!!!

Yet, I still remember when my family flew out to Oregon 2 weeks after his diagnosis and I made the drive with my sister and her son to the children's hospital. Blessed be the Name was playing and my then 4 year old nephew was belting it out, word for word.
"Blessed be the Name,
On the road marked with suffering,
When there's pain in the offering,
Blessed be your Name.
He gives and takes away.
He gives and takes away.
My heart will choose to say,
Lord blessed be Your Name!"

On the road marked with suffering,
When there's pain in the offering,
Blessed be your Name.
He gives and takes away.
He gives and takes away.
My heart will choose to say,
Lord blessed be Your Name!"

As we left that same appointment, he saw a severely debilitated girl entering the hospital as we were leaving. "Mommy, what's wrong with her?" he asked with great concern. My sister told him how she was a very sick girl, also, in a different way. "That's why I should be thankful that I'm only a little sick!" Was his reply. Wow - I never considered leukemic cancer a "little sick." I remember that following Easter being especially special for Connor, at just 4 years old. After enduring several "pokies" himself, he had a greater understanding for what Christ accomplished on the cross. "When I get to heaven I have to thank Jesus for taking those BIG pokies for me!"

Connor is an extraordinary boy. I am so grateful I get to be his Auntee. I am so very proud of him for fighting the fight so bravely, and for doing so while praising God and caring about and loving others. He is so very thoughtful and I know that God has amazing things in store for this child!!
Today, my sister is driving Connor up the familiar road an hour away to Doernbecher's Children's hospital once again. Today, it is the last time he will have chemotherapy injected into his chest port! That feels so good to write. He will continue his daily medications at home until Sunday, and then they will get to throw them all away!!! Though he will still be monitored closely over the next several years, and have surgery once again to remove his port, the day has finally come when my nephew has completed his fight against cancer. Praise the Lord!


Connor is an extraordinary boy. I am so grateful I get to be his Auntee. I am so very proud of him for fighting the fight so bravely, and for doing so while praising God and caring about and loving others. He is so very thoughtful and I know that God has amazing things in store for this child!!
Today, my sister is driving Connor up the familiar road an hour away to Doernbecher's Children's hospital once again. Today, it is the last time he will have chemotherapy injected into his chest port! That feels so good to write. He will continue his daily medications at home until Sunday, and then they will get to throw them all away!!! Though he will still be monitored closely over the next several years, and have surgery once again to remove his port, the day has finally come when my nephew has completed his fight against cancer. Praise the Lord!





3 comments:
Oh terra... i am so glad to read this... praise God... xoxox
Praise praise praise the Lord!!!
Yes, yes, yes, Praise the Lord!!!
Post a Comment