Tuesday, May 19, 2009

I was just trying to help


Jim takes excellent care of our yard, and I'm so grateful! To maintain our soccer field play space that we are able to call our backyard, he spends much time mowing, edging, fertilizing, etc. and we make great use of it!! Well, I recently noticed that some invading garlic mustard was taking over some patches of beautiful, lush lawn and, after reading about how to eliminate it, thought it was something simple enough for me to take care of so I could save Jim some time. Oops. Four days later, we discovered this:


"What is happening to the grass??" Jim exclaimed during one family cookout in the backyard.

"Um," I began rather sheepishly, "it was garlic mustard!"

Of course, my escape didn't work and he realized that I hadn't answered his question, "So, why are there dead patches of grass?" he tried again.

"Oh, I just killed off the garlic mustard!" I pretended to be proud of my accomplishments, while inside I felt terrible for killing his beautifully maintained yard.

"And what exactly did you use, sweetie?" He asked suspiciously.

"Ummmmm..."once again I hesitated, "Round Up - I read that it kills garlic mustard and it was invading some lawn space and...." Jim is not hard on me, but I felt really bad. "I was just trying to help, I'm so sorry!"

"Do you know what else it kills?" he tried to stifle a chuckle, "next time, read the label, sweetie!"

1 comment:

Family of Four and Growing said...

Ooops! I too, leave the chemicals and fertilizers to my hubby!