I used to think "cleaning toilets" was an occasional swirl of the toilet bowl with a scrubber and some chemicals... then there were boys who have taught me that "cleaning toilets" needs to be done every single day and involves almost every surrounding area BUT the toilet bowl.
I used to hear "dressing up" and picture sweet little girls in pretty princess attire, complete with crowns and all sorts of jewelry and accessories... then there were boys who have shown me that "dressing up" is just as much for boys as for girls, only they are donning super hero costumes and sports uniforms, complete with swords, helmets, masks and capes. And, I must mention, their dress up costumes seem to "fly" rather than twirl.
I used to be able to use a short video in the morning so the kids would be entertained while I got myself ready for the day... then there were boys, who want to do everything under the sun except sit still for more than 30 seconds at a time.
I used to use stain remover only a few times a year while doing laundry... then there were boys, who have created the need for me to research every stain removing technique in history!
I used to believe that beds were for sleeping in... then there were boys, who have demonstrated the multiple purposes of beds - climbing, jumping, used as boats, pirate ships, Noah's ark and bridges, to name a few.
I used to think that balls were only for outdoor use... but then there were boys, and I find myself constantly dodging balls as the fly past me indoors, making their way to a basket hoop, bowling pins, or another little boy with a mischievous grin.
I used to believe I knew the uses of rubber bands, paper, sticks and rocks... then there were boys, who have showed me just how many things can be made, created or imagined with aforementioned items.
I used to think that my role as Mom was to always stick up for and defend my little ones... then there were boys, who I have learned (the hard way) sometimes need to stick up for and defend themselves.
I used to believe that not exposing my kids to guns would keep them from knowing what they were and from being violent... then there were boys, who can turn anything and everything into a gun for shooting.
I used to enjoy the sounds of a quiet, peaceful home... then there were boys, and I no longer can remember what, exactly, that even sounded like. Nor do I believe I want to.
I used to think that only little girls could be full of such sweetness and tenderness that my heart would melt... then there were my boys and... I was wrong.
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I love reading your blog. THe way you write is very insightful. I enjoy the way you see your kids.
Your post put a huge smile on my face and tears in my eyes- and that wouldn't be the first time! :)
Thanks for sharing that, Terra! It's so true and SO FUN having both boy(s) and girls! :)
I love you! Miss you, too!
Love it! Thanks for sharing.
perfect! i'm learning all these things!!! with my princess....and now my boys.
Hi Terra....You were the little girl who asked once if hairspray was so your hair wouldn't get rusty. And you told me once you wanted 8 children and their names would be Rochelle, Rochelle, Rochelle, Rochelle, Rochelle, Rochelle,Rochelle, Rochelle. Your boys weren't named "Rochelle" but are just as precious. I love the way you write. See you soon!!
Post a Comment