However, there have also been many moments of unmistakable beauty. We have had the opportunity to have our faith strengthened as we trust in the One who can bring real hope in the midst of heartache. We have witnessed the growth in our family as we cling to one another, grieve together, help and comfort one another. Our children have not only grown in sensitivity and compassion, but have also been able to experience God as a loving, comforting, ever present Father.
One of the most marvelous ways that God cares and comforts us as we hurt is by surrounding us with people who will care for us in tangible ways. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul writes that the body of Christ should have concern for one another and if one part suffers, every part suffers with it; in Romans 12, Paul writes about being devoted to one another in brotherly love, serving one another, sharing with people who are in need and mourning with those who mourn. As humbling as it can be to be on the receiving side of this, it is what God has created and it is beautiful!! Throughout these months, I have been moved to tears by the number of people who have reached out to serve us, who have prayed faithfully beside us, who have grieved along with us and who have encouraged us with their words and/or their presence. These are the hands that have held us throughout these times and we are completely grateful. It has been an incredible thing to witness.
Of the many hands who have served us, my parents were able to come out at the most perfect time. Originally, I was supposed to have a procedure on my arthritic knee and they immediately bought tickets to come out and help while I was on crutches. However, I responded so very well to the new medication injections I'm now receiving that I was able to cancel my knee procedure. At first, I felt guilty that they were coming all the way out to "help" when I was no longer in need of additional hands, but then I got the call... the call that informed me that our baby would be going home in about week. We knew the time was coming, but we thought we had another month or so with our little guy, so we were quite surprised and shaken. ONE WEEK?!?!?
I called my parents right away, knowing that their trip was going to happen during that time. "We're going to need you after all. Our boy is going home and it is going to kill us." I knew that having my parents here would be helpful, but their presence exceeded my expectations. They showered our children with extra love and attention and were a very healthy distraction while we prepared our little man for his departure. They talked with us, listened to us, hugged us and loved on us when we needed it most. They provided our home with a fullness that eased the emptiness we felt. Thank you, Mom and Dad, for coming. We needed you so - God's timing was perfect. Here's some photos of our time with them, as they kept the kiddos minds off the absence of little A.
My dad wrestling them on the trampoline




How grateful we are for the hands that have helped to carry us through these times. To the many family and friends who have encouraged, prayed for and served our family, thank you!




No comments:
Post a Comment