Saturday, November 14, 2009

My boy


I am coming to understand my Kaden more and more with every day that I mother him, but truth be told, he is the child that is least like me and it can be a challenge. However, I know that God gave him to me for a very good reason and I find that I have a lot to learn from my crazy little man.

He loves to speak his mind and state loudly what he thinks and feels; I am more reserved, bite my tongue and try to say what is appropriate and polite. Though some inhibition can be good, how I wish that I had the courage to speak out more than I do!

When he is mad, everyone will know it, with his hollering and grunting and angry tone as he tells you, "I am mad at you!" When I feel upset, I try to suppress it and convince myself to change the way I feel so I won't disrupt peace or relationships. Though self control is in the process of being attained, I do like how Kaden works through his anger immediately, while I carry it within for much too long.

Kaden is truly confident in himself and doesn't care about what others think. This can be seen in the way he speaks his mind, talks to strangers and wears the strangest get-ups day after day. Already this week he was Batman at the post office (declaring to the post man that he "had to protect his mommy from all the bad guys"), wore swim goggles to the mall, and long, bright red soccer socks with shorts and green sandals to Ky's school. I care way too much what others think and try to present myself in such a way as to fit in, but not stand out. I have been tempted to dictate Kaden's attire on our outings, but have realized that is for my own embarrassment, not his. If my son can be kind and loving, bring several smiles to those passing by, all the while looking like an absolute goof ball, why should I fight him? I save my battles for heart issues. I truly admire the fact that he can be himself without carrying the concern of others opinions.

Kaden is also a performer, loving to be the center of attention. I like to fade into the background and I cringe at the thought of being in front of anyone more than a group of a couple close friends or family members. He tries to be silly and humorous and make others laugh. And though I love to join in laughing with others, I never find myself with something fun or witty to say.

Yes, this boy of mine is teaching me so very much. I just love him to pieces.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Isn't it great that God gives us people in our life who teach us so much....more than if we were left to choose for ourselves. And kids teach us so much. I learned a lot from you guys. (Like never feed Brandee black beans. Like when you say you will do something you do it...test scores in first grade. Like Sheila who teaches me about courage and controlling temper. Like Chelsea who taught me how important it is to struggle thru depression.)