Monday, April 18, 2011

open wide


I was mortified.

As I tidied the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms one morning, Tiny followed at my feet and babbled joyfully along. At one point, I noticed she had quieted some and so I turned and found her entertaining herself... by holding and chewing on a toilet base screw cover!!!

Although I do attempt to keep my home and toilets fairly clean, I do have boys. If you are a mama of boys, you probably understand. Despite their best attempts, they can often become distracted and silly during the process and as a result, their aim doesn't always hit the target. We've taught them to clean up their own mishaps, but still...

Needless to say, my stomach lurched a bit as I quickly pulled the screw cover from her mouth. Of course, she was heart broken that I removed her treasure and threw herself into monstrous tantrum. Oh, dear, if you only knew sweetheart! I am just trying to protect you, I thought as I consoled her.

A little while later, she sat in her high chair snacking away as I was mixing up some chocolate chip cookies. I plopped a couple chocolate chips on her tray, envisioning the joy they would bring, and to my surprise, her hand brushed them quickly away as she turned her head and stated, "No!" How could she turn away such sweetness and delight? Apparently, she saw the hard, brown little pieces and must have thought it was something dreadful.

So, I picked one up and popped it into my mouth smiling and said, "Yummmmm." She watched me closely as I did the same thing once again, and then her little fingers cautiously started reaching for the chocolate chips. Still a bit unsure, I lifted one chip to her little lips so that she could taste just a smidge of the sweetness. It worked. With wide, round eyes, she grabbed the remainder of the chocolate chips on her tray and stuffed them into her mouth as quickly as possible. No longer did she refuse this special treat.

It made me think... How often do I turn away from what my Heavenly Father is "feeding" me? How often do I cry and scream and wail because He has removed something that I treasure so, or because I cannot understand why He is doing what He is doing? And how often have I missed out on His incredible blessings for me because I have not desired to taste what it is He has to offer me? Have I, too, refused such sweetness from His hand?

He has allowed me, as a parent, to know more than my young children so that I can protect them from things that may be harmful. Even if my children do not understand, it is still for their benefit. How much more does my Heavenly Father know and see that I cannot possibly comprehend? And how much greater is His ability to love me perfectly, and bring about things in my life to transform me more into His likeness? How dare I refuse!!

Thank you, Lord, for this lesson at a time when I need it most. Before me, you have a spoonful that I am scared to death to swallow. All I can see from my perspective is sour pain and bitter heartache. But, as my Father, I can trust You.

So, I will choose to open wide.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Thank you Terra. That really makes me think. I am so often convinced that I know what is best for me, even though God has proven time and again that his plans for me are perfect. You and your family are in my prayers; I'm praying that the peace that passes all understanding will gaurd your hearts in the difficult days ahead.