Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July Weekend



The 4th of July celebrations are HUGE in the Midwest. We never fail to remember those who have fought for and lost their lives for the freedom we enjoy, and I love it. As I read about the persecution that other Christians are enduring around the world, I am all the more grateful for the incredible freedom in America. We are so blessed in this country, and I feel so undeserving.

This year, we started our celebrating on July 3rd by attending a fun parade with our friends the Taylors. The kids loved being with their friends, cheering for the soldiers, and enjoying all the festivities, although I forgot my camera! Next, we walked a little way to enjoy the amazing fire work show that the kids loved. Kylee was constantly giggling and commenting on each fire work with her best friend, Allison Taylor, and the boys loved waiting for their favorite color fire work to burst. The baby sat wide eyed through it all, but never once flinched. He's so brave!

The next morning we were off - headed up north to our friends, the Gruetzmachers, family farm. They own over 200 acres of property, including forests, fields, crops, trails, horse pastures and some riverfront. It was incredibly beautiful and we felt so grateful that they allowed us to enjoy it all as well!!

Our dear friends Eric, Amy and Isaac Gruetzmacher


After feeding us lunch, Sally (Eric's mom) threw hay bales and blankets into the back of her pick up and drove us around, giving us a tour of the land. It was a fun, bumpy, beautiful ride.






Throwing rocks into the river


Then the boys loaded up the ATV with our camping gear, and drove it out to the campsite near the river -
with Eric and Daddy helping, of course.


Meanwhile, Kylee was able to ride her first horse, named Copper. By the end of the trip, she rode a total of 4 horses and was using the reigns and trotting as well! Sally and "the girls" (Eric's sisters) were so great with her and she was so eager to learn!




Sally also allowed Kylee to help with a lot of horse care - feeding them hay from the ATV and trailer, grooming the horses, and feeding them grain as a treat in the barn. She just couldn't get enough! And, if I'm honest, neither could I. I loved being there and enjoyed pretending to be a farm girl. :O)


While the boys did get to ride 2 horses themselves, they also enjoyed riding on the ATV trailer, tromping around the trails, throwing sticks and rocks in the water and just playing in the dirt.






After dinner, we went to the riverside fire pit to enjoy the sunset and fireflies, then watch fireworks and roast marshmellows. I can't even describe how peaceful and wonderful it felt to be in the beautiful outdoors- it was a perfect way to celebrate our country's independence!




The next morning, I was surprised that by the time we rolled out of the tent puffy eyed and all, "the farmers", as my kids called Gene and Sally Gruetzmacher, had already been up for hours, tending the farm, feeding the animals, and preparing our breakfast! The work ethic of farmers is absolutely amazing! They never stop. Sally made us delicious pancakes, grilled over the campfire. Before long, Eric's sisters asked Amy and I if we were ready for a ride - and was I ever! We brushed down and saddled up the horses and then mounted and were off. We started off slow, but were soon trotting through the trails and eventually galloping through fields. I felt so free and I loved it! However, I will forever have the image of my dear friend, Amy, rolling off the horse as we galloped across the field. Fortunately, she's OK, but you can read her account here.


Kylee can make herself comfortable anywhere!


Jim and the boys taking a rest after all our play and activity.


The boys having so much fun!!


We had such a wonderful weekend and were so grateful to the Gruetzmachers for allowing us such an incredible opportunity on their farmland in the country! And, my favorite quote of the weekend was from their 10 year old nephew, Austin, "What's the point of living on the farm if you don't smell like the animals?" He taught us so much about farm life and I have so much respect!

No comments: