Monday, March 30, 2009

Had a bad day - Revised

I recently wrote about a rough day in the Root household. I knew in writing it that a "bad day" is all based on perspective and was grateful that none of the events that occurred were tragic or life altering. However, yesterday my perspective was challenged as I listened to the Mooneys share the story of their love and loss of their baby boy, Eliot. I looked beside me in the church pew at a new friend and neighbor who sat with a pregnant belly, holding in it the life of a baby boy who has so many complications that he is not supposed to live. I came home to the news that my 7 year old nephew still battling leukemia has dangerous infections consuming his legs as an indirect side effect of his chemo meds.

These are all reminders that there are no guarantees in life. Life is a precious gift that we don't deserve; every moment is to be treasured. So I say today, bring on the bloody noses, stitches, earaches and sleepless nights. It means that there is life in this household - lots of life, abundant life, crazy and chaotic life, but life none the less.

3 comments:

mom B said...

So true Tee. You are such a great writer!! I love how you express your thoughts!

Meg said...

Oh I just watched the Mooneys, I can't stop crying... thanks for sharing your life and that linked...

xoxox

The Benningtons said...

Your entries are always so touching, Terra. We just recently found out that the daughter of a family at our church, who is expecting and is just a few weeks behind me, just found out that their baby has the rare chromosomal defect Trisomy 13. There is a very likely chance the baby won't survive until birth or will only live for a few short moments or days. Like you said, life is a precious gift that we so often take for granted. I know life is going to be crazy with three little ones... but what a blessing they will be! Thanks for the reminder:)