I love tip toeing into darkened rooms and planting kisses upon the cheeks and foreheads of my sleeping children - it is one of my most favorite moments of the day. Last night, I lingered a bit longer at the side of Kylee's bed. Gazing at her soft face, framed by the night cap she now wears to be like Laura Ingalls, she looked so sweet and so small. Yet, I know that within her, God created a heart that is unproportioned to her 6 year old size. We've seen glimpses of this tender heart of hers throughout her lifetime - she deeply and passionately cares about people and has a heart to serve indeed. We have been excited to see that the more she knows Christ, the more she strives to have a heart like His.
The other day, we were blessed with another opportunity to see His work in her heart. Upon entering the van at parent pick-up after school one afternoon, there was just one thing on her mind. "Mom! We were playing at recess in the snow, except E. couldn't play with us because she didn't have boots and snow pants, so I told her I could bring some for her so that she could play with us too!"
"Oh, honey, she probably just forgot them at home. Maybe she'll remember them tomorrow."
"No, Mommy, she doesn't have any! I asked her. And I asked her what her boot size is and she said '1' - do we have '1' shoes at home that I can give her, Mom? I know we have extra snow clothes, right?" I couldn't remember exactly what we had. We talked about other things and were soon distracted by completing homework, eating dinner and running off to church. I didn't think much about it until the next morning. I was getting a bit frustrated with Kylee for taking so long to get ready... until I noticed what she was doing.
"Mom, what about these? Can I bring these to school today for E.? And do we have boots somewhere?" She had gathered up some extra snow pants I had found on sale earlier in the year, along with some additional snow accessories. I had loved that I found such a deal on a nice pair of snow pants - and the way we wear them here, having an extra pair is wonderful! I wondered for a moment if I had found that great deal for a purpose other than my little girl.
"Ky, I will talk with your teacher and see what E. needs, OK? If she really needs these things, then you can bring them tomorrow, OK?" Kylee gave a heavy sigh of disappointment, but when I promised her I would follow through, she continued readying herself for school.
When I heard back from Ky's teacher, I was in tears. Yes, E. was a little girl in need. The teachers had searched through lost and found to try to find items to fit her - to no avail. Her teacher was very moved by the fact that Kylee had such sensitivity and compassion towards her need. I knew that it was more evidence of God's hand upon the heart of my child.
I was excited to pick Kylee up from school and invite her join me on a secret mission to surprise E. with snow gear. Kylee was thrilled as we packaged up pants and size 1 boots (wouldn't you know we had an extra pair of those as well!) and discussed how we would accomplish this plan without E. finding out who the giver was. As happy as she was to collaborate the surprise with her teacher, Kylee was most excited that precious E. would now be able to join her and the other children on the playground for recess.
Of all the things that I desire for my children, there is nothing I want more than a heart that desires to follow Him. I praise God for drawing my little girl to Himself and for the evidence of His work in her heart. What a joy to be witness to!!
3 comments:
How precious! I love her heart and you're a great mom to encourgae that in her.
Terra, thanks so much for taking time to share your observations with us. I love seeing your kids through your eyes, watching them grow and mature! I'm glad that you'll have a written record of these things -- there are too many to remember. Love, Aunt Jan
Oh, Terra....thanks for sharing this with us. I always think that ALL children are special and precious but Kylee does have some very unique and I think powerful traits.
Post a Comment