Thursday, December 3, 2009

Loving your brother

Most days, these boys of mine get along very well.

Not today.

After a bit too much arguing between the two, I felt worn out and exhausted. They were sent to time out and toys were taken away while I prayed for discernment, and called my husband to vent my frustrations (poor thing). After they apologized to one another, we gathered on the couch and read from I John.

"We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. He has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother." (vs. 4:19-21)

Could there be a more perfect verse for the two of them? I think not! They were immediately offended that they were referred to as 'liars' because they claim to love God yet are mean to one another. "Then what do you think you should do about it?" I asked, closing the Bible and walking away. I loved what I heard next!!!

"Colson, Colson - let's sit in a circle and tell each other what we love about one another, OK?? Come here!" Kaden and Cole scooted close together on the couch, held hands, and started pouring out praises to one another.

Not that it will always go so smoothly, but how thankful I am for the Word of God to teach us how to live!!

2 comments:

Jan said...

Why should I be surprised that God's Word ...which is living and active....should speak and touch children? Why should I think it would only apply to and be understood by adults? I remember Charlie once said "The Bible is a book that a child can step into and not drown..and the wisest man can dive into and never touch bottom." What a lesson for us older folk.

Kristi Smith said...

Love it, love it! What a sweet story. "Let's sit in a circle..." too precious.

And while I don't know Charlie, I like his quote too, Jan!