Friday, June 25, 2010

bond of brothers


It was a hard decision. Jim had won 2 last minute tickets to the Brewers game and needed someone to go with him. I couldn't secure a babysitter with such short notice, and Ky already had 2 fun, late nights, so it was between the boys. Kaden blurted out, "I think Colson should go. I'll go next time." I wanted him to be the winner of the ticket for such an attitude, but Cole had already raced upstairs to get dressed for the date with his Daddy. He was so excited.

The night went on, and I did my best to make it fun for Ky and Kade at home. However, intermittently throughout the evening, Kaden would feel sad, say he missed his brother, and fight back tears. At bedtime, he cried out with fresh tears, "Mommy! I cannot sleep without my brudder! I just can't do it!" Kylee was sweet enough to sleep in her brother's room so he didn't feel so alone.

Soon after, Colson came home full of exciting stories from his evening out. I listened intently, and then asked him to be very careful when discussing his evening with his brother, as he missed him terribly. "What? He missed me?" Cole asked sincerely.

"Yes, Cole, he cried because he missed you so very much." I responded.

Cole covered his eyes with his hands and stated, "Oh man, that's gonna make me cry." Then, without hesitation, he ran upstairs, climbed onto his sleeping brother's bed, kissed his cheek and whispered, "I love you, Kaden." Then his tears fell and fell and fell.

Jim and I were a bit dumbfounded, but greatly touched and tears stung our own eyes. "What's wrong, big guy?" Jim asked our sobbing Cole.

"It makes me feel so sad that Kaden missed me so much. I missed him too."

The next day they were inseparable. During a picnic at the park, Cole sat down next to Kade and stated, "You know I love you, right Kade?"

"Yah, I know. I love you too." Kade answered.

"When I was at the game with Daddy, I really missed you. Did you know I even cried?" Colson asked.

"Yah, me too. Next time, let's get 3 tickets, alright?" Kade suggested. Problem solved.

3 comments:

Buntrock said...

You brought a tear to my eyes!

Buntrock said...

This story brought a tear to my eye!

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing such a sweet story. I read the title too quickly and thought you wrote "Band of brothers" (like the movie). That fits too.