A joyful heart is the best medicine.... Proverbs 17:22
As we departed for Kaden's ear surgery before the sun even dared to rise, Colson and Kylee were sobbing tears of sorrow and fear. Colson wanted to go with his brother and be there for him. He wasn't sure about going to kindergarten alone either. Kylee was afraid for his surgery and thought she might miss me too much. Kaden took in the scene and declared, "Hey guys, now don't worry. I'll just have Mom call you and tell you if I died or not, OK?" Giggles erupted from all.
Kaden and I drove off in the dark and as we passed his elementary school he declared, "Good bye, Dixon! Have a great day without me! I might even miss you, but I'll be back tomorrow!" A few moments later, he thought that he'd better call to make sure his brother and sister were no longer sad. "Hey, Dad, we're driving straight along to my surgery. How's my brother? Is he still sad? Well, would you pass him the phone, then?" (slight pause) "Hey, Colson! Don't be sad for me, alright? I'm gonna have a great day!" (another pause) "Oh, that's sweet. I love you too, brother. Is Kylee there? Could you pass the phone to her so that I can make sure she's alright? Thanks." (another pause) "Hey, Ky! You're not still crying, are you? Well, I'm sending lots of hearts to you, then... know why? 'Cuz hearts stand for love. L...O...V...E... LOVE. There you go, I sent you all my love! Now, do you want to hear a joke?" On and on he went, trying to make his big sis laugh with ludicrous knock-knock jokes that made absolutely no sense. My heart was full and smiling. The love between siblings has got to be one of the most beautiful, sweetest things for a mama to see.
Kaden had fun with the nurses and made them laugh with his enthusiasm and humor. When he received medication to make him sleepy before anesthesia, he declared with a sparkle in his eye, "You can try, but you can't make me go to sleep! I'm gonna stay awake and watch you!" Within minutes, my boy was drowsy and drooling in my arms. I don't even think he was aware that I laid him on the stretcher, kissed him and whispered 'I love you' as they whisked him away.
However, when I was allowed to join him in recovery, he was at it again. "Mom, this is crazy!" he started, while sucking away at a popsicle. "They said they put tubes in my ears and I told them it was impossible!! I don't remember a thing. Nope, they can't make me leave until they put those tubes in!" He enjoyed a couple more popsicles as we waited, not totally convinced that the surgery even happened. But, even so, when he was well enough, we were escorted to our car, blankie and teddy in tow. He called Daddy. "Hi Dad! Well, I'm alive. Yep, I didn't die. So, I guess I'll see you in a little bit then!"
As we got home I expected my little man to rest for awhile but, instead, he ran upstairs and came back down all decked out in basketball gear. "I'm gonna play a game, Mom. You gonna come out and watch me?" I had fun cheering him on for some time before GI issues that had been problematic for Kaden all week started to interfere with the game.
Once again, we were off to his pediatrician and my dear one kept the doctor and nurses both laughing and on their toes during the testing, X rays and assessments. It was determined that some dietary changes and short term use of medications would help his problem for the time being, and further treatment could be discussed at a follow up appointment, if the problem ensued.
While we were in the store purchasing his medicine, Kaden caused many heads to turn as he studied the box of an enema that I had added to our basket, "What in the world is going on!?!?! Why are their naked people laying down and why are they putting that THERE?????" I wished with all my might that Kaden knew how to speak in a soft whisper. I had no idea that the box had pictures on it to aid in proper usage. I tried to quiet my son, but he was baffled and couldn't stop asking about it as I tried to hurry through the store. "So, you're gonna put that thing in my bottom? That's crazy! Are you sure you're supposed to, Mom? Are you sure you know how?" On and on he went. I stopped being embarrassed and just laughed at my son and all the attention he was drawing to himself.
Once we rounded up the other kids, Kaden had to tell them about the most important part of his day. "Guess what, guys? Mom has an appointment with my bottom tonight! Can you believe it?!"
My goodness, Kaden. You sure have a way about you. Thank you for choosing to infuse laughter and entertainment into everything you do and say. You bless my life immensely. I can't wait to see what the Lord has for you.
Yesterday, while my son received a plethora of medication throughout the day for medical issues, I was the one who received the best medicine of all. I was with my Kaden. And when I am with Kaden, I laugh. He has this way about him, making things light and humorous when the mood around might be otherwise. So, despite the ups and downs of the day, my heart was filled with joy and laughter from my son's words, attitude and antics.
As we departed for Kaden's ear surgery before the sun even dared to rise, Colson and Kylee were sobbing tears of sorrow and fear. Colson wanted to go with his brother and be there for him. He wasn't sure about going to kindergarten alone either. Kylee was afraid for his surgery and thought she might miss me too much. Kaden took in the scene and declared, "Hey guys, now don't worry. I'll just have Mom call you and tell you if I died or not, OK?" Giggles erupted from all.
Kaden and I drove off in the dark and as we passed his elementary school he declared, "Good bye, Dixon! Have a great day without me! I might even miss you, but I'll be back tomorrow!" A few moments later, he thought that he'd better call to make sure his brother and sister were no longer sad. "Hey, Dad, we're driving straight along to my surgery. How's my brother? Is he still sad? Well, would you pass him the phone, then?" (slight pause) "Hey, Colson! Don't be sad for me, alright? I'm gonna have a great day!" (another pause) "Oh, that's sweet. I love you too, brother. Is Kylee there? Could you pass the phone to her so that I can make sure she's alright? Thanks." (another pause) "Hey, Ky! You're not still crying, are you? Well, I'm sending lots of hearts to you, then... know why? 'Cuz hearts stand for love. L...O...V...E... LOVE. There you go, I sent you all my love! Now, do you want to hear a joke?" On and on he went, trying to make his big sis laugh with ludicrous knock-knock jokes that made absolutely no sense. My heart was full and smiling. The love between siblings has got to be one of the most beautiful, sweetest things for a mama to see.
Kaden had fun with the nurses and made them laugh with his enthusiasm and humor. When he received medication to make him sleepy before anesthesia, he declared with a sparkle in his eye, "You can try, but you can't make me go to sleep! I'm gonna stay awake and watch you!" Within minutes, my boy was drowsy and drooling in my arms. I don't even think he was aware that I laid him on the stretcher, kissed him and whispered 'I love you' as they whisked him away.
However, when I was allowed to join him in recovery, he was at it again. "Mom, this is crazy!" he started, while sucking away at a popsicle. "They said they put tubes in my ears and I told them it was impossible!! I don't remember a thing. Nope, they can't make me leave until they put those tubes in!" He enjoyed a couple more popsicles as we waited, not totally convinced that the surgery even happened. But, even so, when he was well enough, we were escorted to our car, blankie and teddy in tow. He called Daddy. "Hi Dad! Well, I'm alive. Yep, I didn't die. So, I guess I'll see you in a little bit then!"
As we got home I expected my little man to rest for awhile but, instead, he ran upstairs and came back down all decked out in basketball gear. "I'm gonna play a game, Mom. You gonna come out and watch me?" I had fun cheering him on for some time before GI issues that had been problematic for Kaden all week started to interfere with the game.
Once again, we were off to his pediatrician and my dear one kept the doctor and nurses both laughing and on their toes during the testing, X rays and assessments. It was determined that some dietary changes and short term use of medications would help his problem for the time being, and further treatment could be discussed at a follow up appointment, if the problem ensued.
While we were in the store purchasing his medicine, Kaden caused many heads to turn as he studied the box of an enema that I had added to our basket, "What in the world is going on!?!?! Why are their naked people laying down and why are they putting that THERE?????" I wished with all my might that Kaden knew how to speak in a soft whisper. I had no idea that the box had pictures on it to aid in proper usage. I tried to quiet my son, but he was baffled and couldn't stop asking about it as I tried to hurry through the store. "So, you're gonna put that thing in my bottom? That's crazy! Are you sure you're supposed to, Mom? Are you sure you know how?" On and on he went. I stopped being embarrassed and just laughed at my son and all the attention he was drawing to himself.
Once we rounded up the other kids, Kaden had to tell them about the most important part of his day. "Guess what, guys? Mom has an appointment with my bottom tonight! Can you believe it?!"
My goodness, Kaden. You sure have a way about you. Thank you for choosing to infuse laughter and entertainment into everything you do and say. You bless my life immensely. I can't wait to see what the Lord has for you.
2 comments:
Thanks so much for sharing with us, Terra! I'm glad that Kaden can make what could be a difficult day so much happier. Way to go, Kaden! I'm amazed at how much your kids express their care and concern for each other. What a blessing! Did Colson and Kylee make it through the school day okay?
Love, Auntie Jan
That kid just cracks me up!! What a hoot. And I'm so glad he didn't die and I hope you guys had a great "appointment with his bottom". :)
Post a Comment