... feels even further.
This was a week when I felt farther away from family than usual. Being far from them all is never easy, but this week I missed them in a desperate way. We started off on a glorious Monday with no school! We made the most of our day baking, sledding and enjoying one another and am I ever so glad we did!!
By late afternoon, my Coley started coming down with a fever and the couch became his resting place. Also that evening, we started noticing Kaden doing strange things with his eyes. Earlier in the week he had complained of "crumbs in his eyes" without any other symptoms, but on Monday evening, he didn't appear to be seeing well out of his left eye. I made plans to visit the Dr. the following day.
That evening I called my precious sister, Sheila, who was leaving Oregon the following morning with her family to return to Indonesia to continue their missions work. The entire family had gathered to encourage and pray for them before they were off, as we always do when we're together. Our family was the only one missing. :( I wanted to be there so badly. Even though Oregon is far, Indonesia is SO MUCH farther... and picking up the phone to say "I love you, sis!" is just not as easy to do.

On Tuesday morning, the kids woke up with headaches and didn't want to go to school. But with no fevers or other symptoms, we were tough, gave them some Tylenol and sent them off. Oooops - apparently 2 of the 3 visited the school nurse throughout the day but I didn't know... I was busy taking baby to her 1 year well baby check where she screamed "MAMA!!!" for the first time when she got her shots, running errands and making an eye appointment for my Kaden. I scooped up my rosy cheeked, exhausted kiddos at the end of the school day and proceeded to the pediatrician to have Kaden's eyes examined. By the time we got there, my poor boy was feverish, chilled and coughing. I felt like the worst mom ever and wondered if the doctor thought the same thing.
The doctor did determine that yes, indeed, he had very poor vision in his left eye and that it was most likely caused by a serious inflammatory virus which had caused corneal inflammation as well as bladder inflammation (he had blood in his urine). Supposedly, he was highly contagious and should not be around any other children due to the seriousness of his condition. Great. "I will call the opthamologist in the morning and explain his situation and she'll call you when she can see him," our pediatrician stated, "they won't want him around any other children and might want to usher him in through a back door." What?? So, we went home and did our best to quarantine our poor boy, but by evening all three children were on the couch with fevers. Guess we didn't do so great a job.


Later that evening, we got a call from our dear family in CA. Our Grandpa Gib had passed away. It was as precious of a passing as could be - quick, painless, surrounded by family who loved him and who knew He would be meeting His Savior - but death is hard and we hurt. We had been blessed to spend some wonderful time with Grandpa when we were back in CA over Christmas, and I was so grateful that the memories of him were so fresh in our kiddos minds. We all cried together and Jim and I attempted to answer all their questions. Kylee grieved the fact that the cards we had mailed the day before didn't make it to Grandpa in time and Colson muffled through his tears, "Well, I hurt for my Grammy, because she lost her daddy. And Gramma Rosye too, because she lost her husband." There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done in that moment to have picked up our little family and join our big family in CA as we both grieved and celebrated the life of our beloved Grandpa Gib. We felt so far away...



On Wednesday morning, I did my best to "drug up" the kiddos as they all followed Kaden and me to his eye doctor. I was told twice by the staff, "he is not allowed to play with any of the toys or other children, so please keep him close to you at all times." Oh, goodness. Well, a couple hours later, after many tears and much testing we were off to Lenscrafters to purchase some adorable new glasses for my boy. No such inflammatory viral disease was present, for which we were grateful.

By Thursday, Ky and Cole were well enough to be back at school, but Kaden's fever not only persisted, but increased. When he awoke Friday morning still with a high fever, I pulled out my stethescope and determined he needed to be seen for some antibiotics. As I was readying him for yet another appointment, Jim returned from school to drop off Kylee at home, who proceeded to run to the bathroom and vomit. Wonderful. I felt overwhelmed with the thought of bringing an active toddler, feverish son and puking daughter to the doctor, but neither did I feel comfortable asking my friends to watch a sick child when they all had children themselves. Tears pricked at my eyes and I desperately wanted my mom. I wanted help to carry the load. However, I was determined not to cry... yet.

In a matter of moments, Ky was curled up in a fetal position on the bathroom floor screaming in pain and holding her tummy. I called the Dr. who added her onto Kade's appointment to rule out appendicitis. I then called my neighbor in tears of desperation to see if she could watch my baby girl while I ran my screaming, vomiting daughter and feverish, hacking son into the pediatrician. How badly I wanted my mom in that moment!!! My precious neighbor dropped all plans and graciously took in my Tiny. Thank you, Lord, for providing precious friends!!
Once there, Ky's pain had diminished significantly (of course) so the fear of needing surgery that very day was put to rest... "watch her closely," I was told, "and if it returns, bring her back in right away." Kaden did have bronchitis and walking pneumonia and so we were off to the pharmacy to pick up some antibiotics. The rest of the day was spent on the couch for all - taking temps, giving meds, wiping noses, sipping on soda's and gatorade, etc. Although it wasn't the best of circumstances, I was grateful for some sweet, quiet moments with my kids. I felt as though we were coming to the end of our loooooong, sick week...

... but I was wrong. On Saturday Kylee was well, but Cole's fever returned and I finally succumbed to the illness as well. He and I spent the afternoon/evening on the couch while Daddy cared for our needs and tended to our neglected house duties. That night, we were up all night long with a croupy coughing Cole, some bloody noses, a wet bed, some nightmares that caused screaming and crying and probably a few more things that I can't seem to remember. Needless to say, we were not eager to see the sun rise on Sunday morning.
However, we were signed up for helping in children's church, so Jim was off to help while I stayed home with all us "sickos". After naps (of which there were many!!) our Tiny girl also awoke with a high fever as well. :( I made all the kids some comfort foods and our dear Kylee girl made us all a casserole dinner complete with crystal and candlelight. :O) And although not all of us felt like getting up to the table to eat, we did so that our little girl would feel appreciated for her kind and thoughtful efforts.
And that brings us to today - I am thankful to be feeling better and to have a bit more energy to care for the remaining 2 sick children I have at home with me. However, we have winter storm warnings all week long, and since Jim will be joining his family to celebrate his Grandpa's life (an opportunity for which I am truly very grateful!!!) I have asked him to please teach me how to use the snow blower so that I'm prepared for the week ahead... :O).

This was a week when I felt farther away from family than usual. Being far from them all is never easy, but this week I missed them in a desperate way. We started off on a glorious Monday with no school! We made the most of our day baking, sledding and enjoying one another and am I ever so glad we did!!
That evening I called my precious sister, Sheila, who was leaving Oregon the following morning with her family to return to Indonesia to continue their missions work. The entire family had gathered to encourage and pray for them before they were off, as we always do when we're together. Our family was the only one missing. :( I wanted to be there so badly. Even though Oregon is far, Indonesia is SO MUCH farther... and picking up the phone to say "I love you, sis!" is just not as easy to do.
On Tuesday morning, the kids woke up with headaches and didn't want to go to school. But with no fevers or other symptoms, we were tough, gave them some Tylenol and sent them off. Oooops - apparently 2 of the 3 visited the school nurse throughout the day but I didn't know... I was busy taking baby to her 1 year well baby check where she screamed "MAMA!!!" for the first time when she got her shots, running errands and making an eye appointment for my Kaden. I scooped up my rosy cheeked, exhausted kiddos at the end of the school day and proceeded to the pediatrician to have Kaden's eyes examined. By the time we got there, my poor boy was feverish, chilled and coughing. I felt like the worst mom ever and wondered if the doctor thought the same thing.
The doctor did determine that yes, indeed, he had very poor vision in his left eye and that it was most likely caused by a serious inflammatory virus which had caused corneal inflammation as well as bladder inflammation (he had blood in his urine). Supposedly, he was highly contagious and should not be around any other children due to the seriousness of his condition. Great. "I will call the opthamologist in the morning and explain his situation and she'll call you when she can see him," our pediatrician stated, "they won't want him around any other children and might want to usher him in through a back door." What?? So, we went home and did our best to quarantine our poor boy, but by evening all three children were on the couch with fevers. Guess we didn't do so great a job.
Later that evening, we got a call from our dear family in CA. Our Grandpa Gib had passed away. It was as precious of a passing as could be - quick, painless, surrounded by family who loved him and who knew He would be meeting His Savior - but death is hard and we hurt. We had been blessed to spend some wonderful time with Grandpa when we were back in CA over Christmas, and I was so grateful that the memories of him were so fresh in our kiddos minds. We all cried together and Jim and I attempted to answer all their questions. Kylee grieved the fact that the cards we had mailed the day before didn't make it to Grandpa in time and Colson muffled through his tears, "Well, I hurt for my Grammy, because she lost her daddy. And Gramma Rosye too, because she lost her husband." There wasn't anything we wouldn't have done in that moment to have picked up our little family and join our big family in CA as we both grieved and celebrated the life of our beloved Grandpa Gib. We felt so far away...
the first time I met Grandpa and Gramma Rosye
On Wednesday morning, I did my best to "drug up" the kiddos as they all followed Kaden and me to his eye doctor. I was told twice by the staff, "he is not allowed to play with any of the toys or other children, so please keep him close to you at all times." Oh, goodness. Well, a couple hours later, after many tears and much testing we were off to Lenscrafters to purchase some adorable new glasses for my boy. No such inflammatory viral disease was present, for which we were grateful.

By Thursday, Ky and Cole were well enough to be back at school, but Kaden's fever not only persisted, but increased. When he awoke Friday morning still with a high fever, I pulled out my stethescope and determined he needed to be seen for some antibiotics. As I was readying him for yet another appointment, Jim returned from school to drop off Kylee at home, who proceeded to run to the bathroom and vomit. Wonderful. I felt overwhelmed with the thought of bringing an active toddler, feverish son and puking daughter to the doctor, but neither did I feel comfortable asking my friends to watch a sick child when they all had children themselves. Tears pricked at my eyes and I desperately wanted my mom. I wanted help to carry the load. However, I was determined not to cry... yet.
In a matter of moments, Ky was curled up in a fetal position on the bathroom floor screaming in pain and holding her tummy. I called the Dr. who added her onto Kade's appointment to rule out appendicitis. I then called my neighbor in tears of desperation to see if she could watch my baby girl while I ran my screaming, vomiting daughter and feverish, hacking son into the pediatrician. How badly I wanted my mom in that moment!!! My precious neighbor dropped all plans and graciously took in my Tiny. Thank you, Lord, for providing precious friends!!
Once there, Ky's pain had diminished significantly (of course) so the fear of needing surgery that very day was put to rest... "watch her closely," I was told, "and if it returns, bring her back in right away." Kaden did have bronchitis and walking pneumonia and so we were off to the pharmacy to pick up some antibiotics. The rest of the day was spent on the couch for all - taking temps, giving meds, wiping noses, sipping on soda's and gatorade, etc. Although it wasn't the best of circumstances, I was grateful for some sweet, quiet moments with my kids. I felt as though we were coming to the end of our loooooong, sick week...
... but I was wrong. On Saturday Kylee was well, but Cole's fever returned and I finally succumbed to the illness as well. He and I spent the afternoon/evening on the couch while Daddy cared for our needs and tended to our neglected house duties. That night, we were up all night long with a croupy coughing Cole, some bloody noses, a wet bed, some nightmares that caused screaming and crying and probably a few more things that I can't seem to remember. Needless to say, we were not eager to see the sun rise on Sunday morning.
However, we were signed up for helping in children's church, so Jim was off to help while I stayed home with all us "sickos". After naps (of which there were many!!) our Tiny girl also awoke with a high fever as well. :( I made all the kids some comfort foods and our dear Kylee girl made us all a casserole dinner complete with crystal and candlelight. :O) And although not all of us felt like getting up to the table to eat, we did so that our little girl would feel appreciated for her kind and thoughtful efforts.
And that brings us to today - I am thankful to be feeling better and to have a bit more energy to care for the remaining 2 sick children I have at home with me. However, we have winter storm warnings all week long, and since Jim will be joining his family to celebrate his Grandpa's life (an opportunity for which I am truly very grateful!!!) I have asked him to please teach me how to use the snow blower so that I'm prepared for the week ahead... :O).
6 comments:
oh, honey! Please let me know if there are additional ways we can help out, especially while Jim is gone. I know nothing about snowblowers (even growing up in Buffalo, we just used shovels!) but I can help with the kiddos!! So glad that yucky week is over! We'll continue praying for you all!!
Oh my goodness Terra!! Gosh... yes, these are the times when family is so missed!! Wished I could have helped in some way...
Holey Moley! Sounds like you're back at work at the hospital with a sick ward full of pediatric patients. And you're working double ....and triple...shifts! Hope you're all better very soon.
Yikes Terra!!! How awful! I hope all goes better today and throughout the week. We've been battling the stomach flu over here as well for the past few weeks and can't wait for it to be over! Hang in there!
We miss you, T! Tough week! You're sleeping now, I hope -- I'll try to call tomorrow.
I needed to read this today. With my big belly and broken foot it is easy to fall into the "poor me" stage. Now I can say, well at least everyone in my house is healthy and I am blessed with family and friends around me to help! I know this doesn't bring you much comfort, but I wanted to say thanks!
Post a Comment