My big girl is in the midst of learning a hard, but good, life lesson. She has broken her big toe. It may seem like a small issue, but at the tender age of 8, it is temporarily life altering. As her mommy, it has been both emotional and encouraging to see my darling girl both struggle and grow through this time.

With a broken big toe, it is necessary that she rest, ice, elevate, medicate and buddy tape. She cannot run around and be active. She must refrain from her gymnastic training for the time being, limiting it exclusively to strength exercises and some bar work. The tough part is, competition season is weeks away and this training period is crucial. She will fall behind. She might have to miss the first and second gymnastic meets of the season. This is devastating news to my driven and determined little gymnast. Though she has never been known for being argumentative, she tried to tell the doctor, "Well, I can't do that, I'm a gymnast!"
Many tears have been shed, and that infamous question has been asked, "Why did this have to happen?" Her life as she knows it is over (if even for a short time). As always, she has been given an opportunity for growth. Through many tears, talks and prayers, she has been learning that though she is a gymnast, she is even
more than a gymnast. She has been reminded that her value is tied up in a loving God who made her in an amazing and wonderful way... even if all she can
do for the time being is lay around and rest.
She is also learning that life isn't always what you want it to be, but every detail is in God's hands and you can trust Him. You can choose to "make lemonade out of lemons". It's been a struggle, but she is finding meaningful ways to spend her time "resting".
a scrap book she made for a friend
And for a girl who is most likely found flipping and flying about on any given day, she is having to find new ways to fly.
3 comments:
Yup...life is one long series of learning opportunities. When I was in my early 20's, I thought by the time I reached 30, I would know everything an adult needed to know. I'd be mature and adjusted. Now at an age significantly beyond 30, I am still learning and every day. It's good she has you guys to help her navigate thru this time.
Sounds like a book/movie that we enjoyed this summer ....Soul Surfer.
...Catherine
That picture of your three girls together on the couch is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Praying her toe heals up quickly and that she has a GREAT gymnastics season!
Post a Comment