Monday, October 6, 2008

Just what we needed




Yesterday was a stormy, wet, cold, fall day. It was perfect!! After church, lunch with friends and naps, we had absolutely nothing to do! I can't remember the last time we were in that predicament, but we were delighted to be there! With rain drops tapping on the windows and storm clouds darkening the skies, we popped popcorn, spread out a blanket in the family room and cuddled up to watch a movie together - the first one ever that the boys actually sat through! The room was full of warmth and giggles and a closeness that we have been missing in the past couple weeks of busy living.

After the movie had completed, we all ran upstairs to get into comfy, cozy jammies and put the baby to bed. When we rejoined in the family room we turned out all of the lights, gathered the kids in our arms and once again cuddled on the couch to watch the lightning through the windows as it brightened up the sky. We sat in silence for awhile, with only "ooooh's" and "ahhhh's" breaking the silence, in adoration of bolts of lightning and the roaring thunder that followed. But before long, the kids started talking. As we sat in the dark, with occasional light illuminating the faces of my family, this is what I heard in soft little voices as they spoke to one another:

"Are you comfortable? You need a'nudder pillow?"

"Here, you can sit by me! I made room for you!"

"Jesus is always wif us, right? We don't have to be scared!"

"This is just like art! You know my favorite artist? Pete Mondrian! He has great work! And I'm working on being an author, illustrator and an artist, did you know that?"

"Was it stormy like this when Noah built the ark? It took him 22 days to build! Is that a long time?"

"Do you think Nana and Papa are watching the storm too?" (Nana and Papa live in Oregon).

It was one of those moments that I just thanked God over and over again for blessing me with my family. It was a moment where I forgot how busy the previous week had been, or how exhausted I was at the end of each day, or how many time outs I had to give... It was a moment when I absolutely loved being a wife, loved being a mom and couldn't have asked for a more perfect day together. It was a moment that was just what we needed as a family!

Note: photograph from Getty images :O)

4 comments:

Jan said...

Thank you for sharing your evening with me. I could just see it in my mind's eye as I read your blog.

Kristi Smith said...

Wow! Did you guys capture the picture yourselves? Lightning can be difficult to photograph.

Anyway, I love storms. :-) I'm so glad you had a quiet evening where you could cuddle together and watch it!

Anonymous said...

Wow Terra, wish I could have been there. I love the little coments.
Love Tawnya

Amy said...

22 days, huh? Guess I'll have to reteach that part of the Noah story in next week's sunday school lesson...