Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Pied Piper and Man Dates



Papa and Nana arrived last Thursday evening and, boy, was there fun to be had! We started off with our once a month visit to the nursing home, and then they were off to join Kylee for lunch at her school cafeteria. Apparently, they were quite the hit! They stayed for recess and started playing hide-n-seek with just Kylee and a few girls, but soon had all the kids on the playground chasing them around! The teachers said they were welcome any time and referred to them as the Pied Piper. If you know my parents, you wouldn't be surprised that they made such a hit, but I was touched, and Kylee was ecstatic. When I picked her up from school, she told me right away, "Mom! I can't believe that everyone on the playground wanted to chase my Papa! Even the teachers were laughing, Mom. I couldn't believe it. It was so amazing!"


Nana and Cole leaving the nursing home. The kids were asked to come in costume and they loved it!

After Kylee's gymnastics on Saturday, we were off on a scenic drive to "Holy Hill" and a pumpkin farm! The fall colors are absolutely gorgeous and I simply cannot get enough!!


The colorful view across the lake


The view from the church atop "Holy Hill"




The kiddos posing with pumpkins - it was a warm fall day at the farm


Mmmm... Caramel apples with sprinkles!!
Always our way to welcome in the Fall!



While we waited for the hayride, all 4 kids loved playing in a big hay pile. Kaden loved to throw it around.


Colson relaxing in the hay - look at that contented smile!


Kaden and Nana on the Hayride


Papa and Nana enjoying their hayride through the Wisconsin countryside.


Colson chasing a turkey


Kylee hugging a donkey

Although I failed to capture it on camera, Papa was almost always seen outside playing baseball, soccer ball or riding bikes with the boys, while Ky was at school. On one morning while they were playing, the boys told Papa they wanted to go on a date. "Yeah, your Mommy said we'd go on a walk once the baby woke up!" Papa told them. "No, Papa, we want to go on a man date!" they answered. So, with my permission, they packed some snacks for a hiking adventure through the woods and some playtime at the park. Little did I know that Papa would be running around with them for 5 hours straight!! I think they stored up enough fresh air to get them through the long winter months ahead! :o)

Papa reading to the boys in a quieter, less active moment

My mom and I enjoyed some quiet moments at home, and took a peaceful walk with baby through the brightly colored neighborhood. I also got a little spoiled with having my parents watch my boys so that I could take the baby to his visits and appointments without having to drag them along. Jim and I even managed a date night that was oh so wonderful! Alone time with him is always a good thing!

It has been 2 days now since I dropped my parents off at the airport. I have been doing pretty well in their absence, until lunch time this afternoon. I opened the fridge to fix lunch for the boys, and saw a brown paper bag. I pulled it out to examine the contents, and saw this:


Kylee had drawn a picture of Papa and Nana on their brown paper lunch bag for them to bring to her school last week. For the first time since they left, I got teary. They are very loved, very appreciated, and very, very missed!

3 comments:

Jan said...

And I got teary just reading the blog. I was going into "blog-withdrawl". Loved the drawing at the very end. Thanks for sharing. (And let's not go 10 days between blog entries ever again. Way too long for me!)

Anonymous said...

So THAT'S what happened to my lunch bag! I knew I didn't throw it away, but I couldn't find it. I guess it'll live longer as a blog post than as a paper bag, anyway. Please tell Kylee thanks again for the super picture of us on the lunch bag, and for letting us come to her school and to her gymnastics. And thank the boys for playing in the park with me and being brave adventurers as we made our own trails through the woods. We miss you guys! Love, Dad/Papa B.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what fun you all had. I have to admit, I'm a bit envious ... I really miss seeing you all especially in the fall. Tee, would you please email the pic of Ky with the donkey ... such an adorable photo! Love you all, Mom/Grammy