I had a beautiful morning of breakfast, cards and homemade gifts; older children were trying to be helpful and good; little ones were crying, demanding, climbing on my lap and stealing my eggs. :) It is our life and I love it.
I had been fighting for awhile for B and J to have time with their mom, as we feel strongly it is in their best interest to maintain a relationship with her, regardless of her desires. I was a little frustrated that Mother's Day was chosen as the day, when 7 weeks had passed with no contact, but I recognized my selfishness and moved forward in helping B and J make Mother's Day special for their mama.
However, there is nothing comfortable about trying to pry a 2 1/2 year old off your leg and forcing him to give a hug to his mom. Nothing. "It will just take time, he hasn't seen you in awhile," I tried to comfort her, as she was concerned with his detachment to her. Thankfully, in an environment like Chuck-E-Cheese, there are many things to distract a young child with, especially a little boy who loves pizza and soda! Within time, J was more adjusted and B was running around wildly with her older siblings and I was able to slip out to rejoin the family back at home.
Though I received a phone call in less than an hour stating that the kids were ready to come back, Jim was adamant about the agreed upon 4 hours and stated we'd pick them up later. They will be going home soon... they needed to spend time with their mama.
We had a glorious several hours hiking in the woods and I loved it!! I'm a nature girl at heart and the sites, smells and sounds of the forest were just divine!
Soon our time was up and we were on our way to the address we'd been given to pick up the kiddos. As we pulled up to the apartment complex on a busy road, kids were running to and fro. We saw the familiar face of our little B on a patio with several other young kids who were fighting ferociously with one another, throwing punches and kicking shins with everything they had. When we approached, they stared at us wide eyed, except for B who threw her arms around us for a quick hug before running off again and disappearing into one of the many apartments.
Though it was quite a while before we saw the kids we'd come for or their mama, there was no time wasted! In a moment, Jim and the boys were throwing a football with 15 other eager young boys and Kylee and I had children clambering all over us, wanting to be held and talked to. We heard story upon story about their young little lives. While Ky lavished attention on a half dozen little girls full of longing, a 6 year old boy yanked on my hand and asked, "will you hold me?" Nearby, my littlest girls were running around being chased by enthusiastic preschoolers.
As we talked and played we saw and we felt it - the desire, the craving, the young independence, the hard and tough little spirits wanting to be loved, affirmed, given attention. Not a parent in sight. We knew this was where we were meant to be and what we were meant to be doing, even on this Mother's Day that I had selfishly wanted to be "mine". So we loved, we played, we talked, held and chased. We were doing it together as a family and there was no better way for us to be spending our time.
When it was time to go, we were getting the 7 kids buckled into the van and found ourselves surrounded by kids trying to jump in and wanting to come along. "Can I please come too? I be real good, real good, I promise!" It was hard to tell them no, but we were sure there was someone somewhere who would want them home eventually.
As we drove off, we waved to tearful little faces, which was cause for many tearful faces within our van. "Mom, this is so hard, I don't want to leave! Can we come back tomorrow and play again? Can we come back everyday?" Ky asked as she waved and wiped away tears. Hearts had been pierced. Love, compassion and understanding were flowing. How grateful we were to spend the time in B and J's neighborhood. We were all the more desperate to lavish love upon them in the weeks we had left.
It was the perfect way to spend our Mother's Day and one I will remember always.


1 comment:
Wow, Terra! That was quite a mother's day. By the way, you are one of my favorite mothers! Thanks for sharing another view of the lives of your kids. It's good for us to know where some kids are coming from. (I'm thinking of children I see in the schools, too.) I'm amazed by your description of how hungry they are for positive adult interaction with them. Love you!
Post a Comment