Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Daddies Needed



I just can't wrap my mind around it.

I am constantly blown away by the infatuation the newest little ones have with "Daddy".

They love and adore him, because he has loved and adored them.  Though they are "supposed" to call him by his name, they just can't help themselves.  To them, it is the first time they've been able to use the name "Daddy" and they love it.

They race with the other kids to be the first to greet him at the door upon his arrival from work, screaming "Daddy!!!!" with so much excitement I think they're going to burst.  It is quite the sight to see the man I love completely overtaken by 7 squealing children.  It is a beautiful, colorful, tender and lively scene.  I am flooded with affection and fondness for the man every time.

Twice Jim has traveled for work while B and J have been with us.  Each time, B struggles.  "He's supposed to come home every night to his family, and I'm a part of his family!"  Bedtime isn't as special  to her when "Daddy's" tickles and bedtime stories are absent, and every night he's been away there have been tears.

These precious little ones are reminding me time and time again how invaluable faithful, committed daddies are.  They provide such stability, security and safety to life.  Their strong, gentle and affirming love is like no other on earth.

With their return home on the horizon, we've been trying to talk more and more about it.  Little B articulated one of my worst fears one afternoon as we talked, "But, Ms. Terra, I don't got no Daddy at home."

Oh, how my heart broke.  With a quivering chin I scrambled for words to say, but they felt empty, "I'm sorry, sweetie.  I know that will be hard...."

"But," she interrupted,  "I got a Daddy in God."

I embraced her and cried.  A Father to the fatherless is God in His holy dwelling. 


Daddies are needed.  There are children everywhere living without the security and safety and comfort they provide.  It has been so wonderful to see these children thrive with the love of a father, and amazing to see Jim exemplifying for them the way their Heavenly Father loves them - exceedingly, abundantly, completely.  It is no small task.  But it is life changing.




1 comment:

Oregon-Mama said...

Stop making me cry!!! Oh, Terra. Thank heavens (literally) that we have a Daddy in God, but oh, that every little boy and girl would have a godly, loving Daddy down here, too! I will be praying God comforts them supernaturally as they face having to say goodbye to their "Daddy" Jim:(