Growing up.
Some days it feels like it will never happen with my kiddos. Other days feel as though it's going way too fast. In our home right now, we have a little of both going on. As the boys are nearing 3 and a 1/2, we realized that we are still helping them run to the potty to assist in pant pulling up and down way more often than we think is necessary. And, maybe just because we're impatient, we usually always help them dress and undress, when Kylee, at their age, was expected to do so independently. Hmmm. Things needed to change. So today I announced that it was a new day in the Root household, with sticker charts and elastic band pants in hand. The boys had to dress themselves and use the potty independently and every time they did they would get a sticker for their chart. This has worked great in the past and they were so excited to have new charts to fill! They were quite proud of their accomplishments as well. :O)
After dressing themselves (notice backwards shirts) they show off their charts
Here's Kylee being helpful!
And then there's Kylee. She's always wanting to be big and help out in whatever way possible! Sometimes we have to let her know that even though she's big, there are just some things that she can't do yet. She has been known on a few occasions to pour cereal and milk for the boys, complete with their chewable vitamins in the morning.
One day I was too busy to make lunch at the moment, as I was feeding and changing the baby. "I'll make lunch for you Mom!" Ky declared and quickly set out to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, much to my surprise. And she did!! Completed PBJ's set upon plates with cheese sticks and grapes and even a glass of water for each child. I was amazed!
Today was another day when bottle time for baby came at the time I would usually make lunch. "Sorry, guys, looks like we'll have to wait until the baby is done," I warned them. "That's OK, Mom! I'll make lunch!" Ky set out to make PBJ's again, but in getting the jam from the fridge realized we had left over mac-n-cheese. "Mom, I'm just going to heat this up!" She declared, pulling a stool up to the microwave. I heard buttons being pushed, then heard her calling for me, "Is this working right?" she asked very seriously with her hands on her hips. I laughed out loud. She had set the time for 57 minutes!! I just love her desire to help so very much. She tries so hard!!
One day I was too busy to make lunch at the moment, as I was feeding and changing the baby. "I'll make lunch for you Mom!" Ky declared and quickly set out to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, much to my surprise. And she did!! Completed PBJ's set upon plates with cheese sticks and grapes and even a glass of water for each child. I was amazed!
Today was another day when bottle time for baby came at the time I would usually make lunch. "Sorry, guys, looks like we'll have to wait until the baby is done," I warned them. "That's OK, Mom! I'll make lunch!" Ky set out to make PBJ's again, but in getting the jam from the fridge realized we had left over mac-n-cheese. "Mom, I'm just going to heat this up!" She declared, pulling a stool up to the microwave. I heard buttons being pushed, then heard her calling for me, "Is this working right?" she asked very seriously with her hands on her hips. I laughed out loud. She had set the time for 57 minutes!! I just love her desire to help so very much. She tries so hard!!
1 comment:
It surprises me to read that the boys are 3 1/2. They've sure grown! I'm looking forward to seeing you all soon.
Post a Comment