Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dinnertime Drama

Apparently, my kids have little to no experience eating meat on the bone. Because their mama is not a fan, I suppose they have become accustomed to the boneless, skinless version of meat instead. Well, yesterday afternoon as I poured chicken from a bag into the crock pot, I was quite surprised to find bony little chicken wings pop out rather than the breasts that I thought they were. I kept the recipe the same and thought my husband and kids could enjoy the uncommon dish while I ate something a little less bony. At the end of the day, as I served the marinated chicken wings for dinner, we were in for quite the scene.

"Wow! Bones!! Yummmmm!" Kaden grunted as he chewed them viciously then licked his fingers clean.

Colson ate his very cautiously, concerned that they were "bleeding" because of the veins that often accompany the bones (I understand completely... did I mention that I am not a fan of meat on bones?!).

"Bones? We're eating chicken bones?" Kylee asked with great concern. Jim explained that we don't eat the bones, just eat the meat off the bones. After studying a chicken wing for a short time, Kylee looked up with her big blue eyes and asked completely serious, "These are not baby chickens, are they?"

"Oh no, sweetheart, just normal adult chickens," I answered, thinking, erroneously, I would calm her fears.

"What!?!?! We're eating poor baby chickens mommy and daddy? Who is going to take care of the babies then? We can't leave the babies all alone!" Her mouth quivered and then pinched tightly, as she tried to keep her pooling tears from falling.

Jim and I looked at each other baffled - was there a right answer? He convinced her that these chickens were neither mommies or daddies so we would not be leaving any baby chicks as orphans by enjoying our dinner. Eventually, she calmed, and we finished our meal. But, oh, the drama! I don't know if we'll be eating chicken wings again any time soon. :O)

2 comments:

Family of Four and Growing said...

I am so with you!!! I need to remember, when that time comes for us, that God is good and gave us these animals to provide nourishment for us. Until then, thank God for boneless/skinless chicken :)

Kristi Smith said...

heh heh. That's fantastic. I'm not a fan of bony meat either. It makes me feel so spoiled to articulate that, but it's true. Give me a boneless steak, a boneless roast, or boneless skinless chicken breast and I'm happy. I guess sometimes I eat fish that have the bones in them--but I certainly prefer those deboned. I like my meat to no longer resemble the animals they once were. After preparing my first Turkey, I wasn't sure if I would be able to eat turkey every again. I mean, it looked so much like a bird! Okay, enough of my foodness.

I should also probably state that this has nothing to do with principles--it just grosses me out.