Tuesday, April 20, 2010

survival

We did it! We survived the weekend with 5 kids! I know - there are families out there with 3 times that amount that not only survive, but flourish... but I don't think we're one of those families. :O) Although we're licensed to be a foster home to more than one child, we have chosen to provide care to only one at a time so that we can be more fully devoted to her, as well as our 3 growing, but still young, children at home. That is, until we got another call. :O) There was one particular angelic looking toddler in her 3rd foster home who needed another family on board to support and care for her. It wouldn't be full time, but maybe a weekend or 2 a month to give her current foster family some relief. I wondered about what trouble this 15 month old might be...but when we met her, she was just perfect! She ran into my arms, hugged and cuddled with me, giggled and laughed, showed me her toys... not at all the high maintenance child I expected. Jim and I agreed we could be the family to help support this little girl, on a part time basis.

And then she came. The first day was perfect - she played and laughed, ate great, slept well and the kids were having a blast with her! She was a highly active, curious little girl, but with a 7 year old, two 5 year olds and a mom and dad to run after her, we managed to keep her out of danger. :O)




We even managed to bathe both the little girlies, with some helpers, of course.




When she awoke early the next morning, she was a different child. Immediately, she wanted her hair pretties in. Then, she marched to her high chair and demanded to be fed. When there was a tiny delay in meeting her needs, her back arched, her head nearly crashed to the floor and she screamed her little heart out. Hmmmm. If she were my own child, I would know what to do. But she isn't.

I took her with me to Ky's gym class and tried my best to avoid the word "no" even though it was against my will to do so. I broke a sweat chasing after her and, as it was, I dealt with at least a dozen tantrums. After gym, we stopped briefly at Walmart to grab a few items but left prematurely when my adorable toddler decided she didn't want to be there and thought that screaming incessantly and throwing things on the floor would work in her favor. Yes, I was the crazy mom at the store who had no control over her tantrumming toddler. Everyone was looking at us. I wanted a sign to explain our predicament, but had to grin and bear it as we walked to the check out, purchased a few less items than intended, and made our way to the car. She continued to scream.

The rest of the weekend was spent dividing and conquering the care of a tiny infant, an active, stubborn, curious, strong willed toddler and, of course, spending time with our 3 eldest.

Cole, sweeping the hair out of her eyes

running, running, always on the go

climbing, climbing... she seemed to have no sense of fear and fell so many times
This photo cracks me up because it's so her - she was totally determined to get into the house, despite the 6 inches of space she had. But, alas, with twisting and grunting, she managed to squirm her little body into the house.


Needless to say, the whole family worked as a team! When Sunday evening came, the kids were in tears as we drove our girl home - they wanted her to stay with us forever!! And, although that's not a possibility, she will be back. No matter how challenging she was, she (like all foster kids) has experienced great loss and needs as many people loving her as possible. We're grateful to be on board!

As a thank you gift, her current foster family gave us this as a gift.
"We figured you'd need something to relax after caring for her!" They said.
And relax we did! Four kids now feels like a breeze! :O)

Notice the name of the wine? How fitting.

1 comment:

Kelleigh Ratzlaff Designs said...

Oh, that cracks me up!! I think I need a glass of wine just thinking about the tantrums!!

I'm so glad these kids have your family!! I just want to squeeze them all!!