
"I tall like my Daddy!"
"I grow up I be big like my Daddy!"
"I play baseball like Daddy when I grow up!"
I hear comments like these every single day in our house. So, Daddy is pretty much the favored one right now, but he is bigger than me and a lot of fun too! I'm so grateful that my little ones have a Daddy they can look up to and strive to be like. But even more important than the physical attributes they acquire from mommy and daddy as they grow are the spiritual attributes they develop as they watch and learn from us. I was driving the kids to the pool today and was reminded of this very lesson by the song "He wants to be like me" by Phillips, Craig and Dean. The chorus goes:
"Lord I want to be just like you,
'Cuz he wants to be just like me.
I want to be a holy example for his innocent eyes to see.
Help me be living by the law, for my little boy to read.
Lord I want to be just like you
'Cuz he wants to be like me."
The knowlege that my kids are watching my every move, action, attitude and response to different circumstances in my life is eye opening. What are they seeing in me? Are they seeing a heart eager to know God and read His word? Do they see a genuine love and trust for my Savior? Am I leading a life lead by the Spirit? Am I full of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness and self-control? Am I looking out for the lost, broken and needy? Do I demonstrate compassion, concern and service? Do I model respect and forgiveness? Will my kids see me trusting in God in every circumstance, or obeying Him even when it's hard? Will they see me striving to please God and to understand what He wants from me? How do I spend my time? What do I tell them is important through my actions?
So many times I fail to live a life worthy of the calling I've received. I am completely humbled by the incredible task God has given to me - training these precious children in the way they should go (Proverbs 22:6). I constantly have 3 little pairs of eyes watching me and I want to leave an impression on their life that is upright and wholesome, pure and godly. I need to work harder at being an individual that I would want my children to emulate.
No comments:
Post a Comment