
I was talking with my sister, Brandee, yesterday and she was expressing the weariness she felt in her life. Her 5 year old son is battling luekemia and just broke his arm last week. Having to watch him suffer has emotionally drained her. We talked about the heaviness of all the pain and suffering in the world and in the lives of our friends and family. We long so much for our heavenly home -to be surrounded by God's glory and presence, to be surrounded by other believers who know and love God, and to leave this broken world of pain behind us. What a wonderful hope to have to cling to!! Sometimes it's easy to be tempted by this world in our attitudes and thoughts. But how important it is to cling to what we know is true and continue to praise Him. As I was reading the Psalms this morning I smiled as I read this verse that demonstrates the psalmist (anonymous, Ezra is suggested) battling the same feelings that my sister and I were discussing just yesterday - weariness of the soul, battling the temtpations of this world and clinging to God and his word, His hope, His promises instead.
Psalm 119:28-32
My soul is weary with sorrow;
strengthen me according to your word.
Keep me from deceitful ways;
be gracious to me through your law.
I have chosen the way of truth;
I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, O Lord;
do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the paths of your commands,
for you have set my heart free.
Thank you, God, for your Word.
No comments:
Post a Comment