
"Be still and know that I am God"
Why do I have such a hard time being still? Rest is something that I make sure my children understand - why God made us to need rest and made a day designed for rest, how important it is for our bodies to feel restored and rejuvenated, etc. In fact, if they are unable to nap on a given day, then they take a quiet time in their room in order to wind down and relax. However, rather than use these times of rest for my children for my own quiet time, I quickly busy myself with laundry, dishes, dinner and cleaning. There is always so much to do! However, I have found myself running on empty more times than not as a mom and my heart has been drawn lately to rest in God and be still in Him. So today, as I sat on my back patio reading the word and praying (something I struggle with making time to do) he reminded me of his promises in Psalm 23. "The Lord is my shepherd... he makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul." How can my soul be restored if I don't make time to rest in him and know him? Another verse from Psalm 62:5 says, "Find rest, o my soul, in God alone." So, I am encouraged and committed to making time to be still and know Him. I might have to let the housework slide, I might have to get up early and sacrifice sleep, but nothing can replace having your soul restored by being still and knowing God.
No comments:
Post a Comment