The much anticipated trip has come... and gone. We were so sad to have to say goodbye to our beloved family this morning, but are so grateful for the time that we had with them. The original trip was planned by Kylee and I as a surprise for Jim's birthday. But, with a move and a kitchen remodel in the making, we decided to let Jimmy in on our surprise for him so that he'd feel the comfort of an expert handy man on his way over (Dad Root). And while Grammy and I were off playing with the kids, Poppy, Daddy and our friend Bud were hard at work on or kitchen remodel. A lot got accomplished and we're excited for the end result!
But even better than all the work that was completed was the love that was shared and the relationships that were further developed between Grammy and Poppy and the grandkids as well as with us. There is such a sense of fullness and joy with family surrounding us. I loved the feeling of walking down the road or going out to dinner as a big family. I loved to see how Grammy and Poppy took delight in my children and loved spending time with them. It was refreshing to know that when I was exhausted and my reserves for love and patience were dwindling, Grammy and Poppy were there to show their support and love; when I was frustrated with the kids and felt I only could see their worst, Grammy and Poppy could only see their best. (It's got to be so fun to be grandparents!) It was wonderful to see my children trusting Grammy and Poppy to care for them and meet their needs. When Jimmy and I ran errands or attempted a much needed date, the kids waved us off with confident, secure smiles. What a joy.
Yes, family is wonderful and we have been so blessed to have so many whom we love and enjoy and who show their love and support as well. God has been so good to us and we'll be grateful for whatever time He gives us with them.
No comments:
Post a Comment