On the day the flyer came home announcing grandparents day, my heart sunk and tears filled my eyes. But I put on my happy face as I asked Kylee who she'd like to invite. "Mommy, can I please ask Mr. Jerry?" she asked with excitement, not at all phased that her own grandparents all lived so very far away. She has come to accept it with much more grace than I.
She then wrote him a letter saying, "Please come Mr. Jerry!" and we traveled next door to his home to invite him. He was absolutely delighted to oblige. Every time he's seen Kylee since, he has shouted across the yard, "Just 8 more days!" and so forth, until today, when they talked on the phone together about their plans for tomorrow.
As she talked on the phone with Mr. Jerry, she told him about God and how she loves to learn about Him. She also told him how she had prayed that Jesus would send sunshine today and how He heard her and answered her prayers. When she finished her conversation, she concluded, "Ok, Mr. Jerry, good-bye. I'll see you tomorrow. I love you!"
As I listened in on her conversation, I was overflowing with emotion. First, for God's faithfulness in providing us with a friend who was willing to be a stand-in grandparent for Kylee. And secondly, for the opportunity for my daughter to share her love for God with a neighbor, who may or may not know Him already. I felt immensely blessed today.
At the end of the day, Kylee drew a picture that she wanted to give to Mr. Jerry tomorrow, as a thank you. When she was done she proudly brought it to me and there was our family, with Mr. Jerry and his wife, Mrs. Monica, right there in the middle. I just love her heart!
2 comments:
That is so awesome! I wish I was as unfearfully bold as Kylee. She loves Jesus and can't HELP but tell everyone how great he is! I, on the other hand, have to pray for boldness and courage to speak of the one I love to the people I meet. :( Please tell Kylee that I hope I'm can be more like her when I grow up. ;-)
That's exactly what I was thinking, Kris. I wish I could be more like her too. That little girl of mine is teaching me more these days than I am teaching her!! Very humbling!
Tee
Post a Comment