Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Dying to do it over

I can't count the number of times I've been told, or even said myself, "It just goes so fast" in regards to raising children. In the midst of my pregnancies, it seemed like my babies would never come. When they finally did come, it felt like they'd be small forever and I would nurse, change diapers and burp my little ones without end. But the end did come, and one day they were sitting, another crawling and starting to talk, and finally, each one took their first steps which all too quickly advanced into running, jumping and galloping around the house. I will never again go through another baby stage. Though it's hard for me to believe, I am currently a mom with 3 little ones who sit at the table in big chairs feeding themselves, all the while carrying on conversation, and who can use the bathroom almost independently (my boys still want me to "watch this!").

I have tried hard to "treasure these times" as I've so often been advised to do. I continually remind myself that though each day feels like a year, each year feels like a day. Before I know it, my little girl will be walking down the aisle on her daddy's arm, or my young boys will be grown men, taking a wife of their own and I will be wanting, with all that is within me, to go back to these days when they are young and sweet and still need me. I think of this every time my little ones reach their arms up to be held, or when one of those chubby hands grabs hold of my own as we walk across the street. And whenever I am called upon to kiss an owie, care for a sick child, or read yet another bedtime story, I remember that this too will end. I better give it all I've got now, because one day, I'll be dying to do it all over again.

No comments: