Usually when this time of year comes around I grin and bear it. With the bitter cold biting against all exposed skin, the wind chapped cheeks, the constant shoveling and de-icing, the driving on icy roads, and the feeling of being trapped inside for several months on end makes me just want to pack up and move back to warmer climates, with or without work. But I had a realization this year as the kids and I stepped outside to play after 30 minutes of bundling. The snow was beautiful!! The trees were delicately draped in white, and everywhere you looked it was clean, pure and fresh. Neighbors were out to shovel driveways side by side and friendly conversations and snowball fights were taking place. For the first time in their lives, the boys were able to walk around and enjoy the soft, white, fluffy stuff, rather than be carried in baby carriers (winter #1 in WI), or be hauled in my arms to and from the van (winter #2 in WI), or to be pulled along beside me as they tried their best to walk in big, clunky snow boots (winter #3 in WI).
Yes, winter #4 in Wisconsin has been something we've actually been able to enjoy!! Though they can't outlast their big sister, the boys were laughing, sledding, building snowmen and making snow balls. Kylee ran next door to help our older neighbor, and then later called our neighbor girls over to build a snow fort. I ran each kid up and down the driveway in sleds numerous times until I finally threw myself into the snow exhausted. It was a perfect chance for making a snow angel as I looked up and watched each heavy breath circle into the crisp, blue air.
When we had played as hard as we could, even into the dark of night, we turned on the bright Christmas lights, then came in for hot chocolate. It was warm and cozy. A perfect evening for a fire in the fireplace and a big pot of soup or chili. A time for bringing friends into your home for fun and fellowship.
Later when the kids were in bed, I went out to keep Jim company while he shoveled away the snow remains from the snow plows that had just come through the neighborhood. Not too much time could pass before I took advantage of his vulnerable position and started pelting him with snow balls. I paid for it, of course, as he came at me and tackled me into the snow. Brrrrr! We then held gloved hands and walked around our cul-de-sac admiring the Christmas lights and decorations. It was a wonderful moment to spend with the man I love.
And I realized that I rather enjoyed my day in the snow. As Kylee has tried to tell me over and over again, this time of year might not be so bad after all!
Kaden showing how deep the snow was - nearly to his waist!
Kylee grabbed her shovel and stomped through the snow to help our neighbor, Gerry, shovel
Kylee is totally in her element - she LOVES the snow and waits for it all year!
The boys atop their "hill"
Cole on the sled
Kaden singing from the hill - this kid loves to sing at the top of his lungs
Playing with the kids - Cole had just fallen and was unhappy
Kaden
The boys making snowballs
Kylee crawling through a snow tunnel
Kylee with neighbors and friends Anna and Elizabeth
1 comment:
What fun! I wish I were there to play with you guys--I miss playing in the snow! What beautiful memories with beautiful pictures to capture the moments.
Post a Comment