Never having left the kids for an extended amount of time, I was quite nervous! I made long lists and detailed explanations for those caring for our kids, made each dinner in advance and stocked the fridge and pantry full of food. I also started prepping the kids early on so that they were ready for our departure. They knew who would be coming and what was to be expected. Together we made paper chains for each child so that they could remove a link each day we were gone. We promised that we'd call every day.
The night before we left was a tender time. We were going through the plans again and Kylee asked, "And you're going back to say good-bye to Daddy's Grandma and Grandpa and to tell Grammy and Poppy (Jim's parents) that you're sorry?" We talked about what a memorial service was and that yes, we were sorry that Poppy lost both his mom and dad.
"But we'll all see them again in heaven, right?" Kylee asked. And not having great assurance that Jim's grandpa, in particular, was saved, we gently explained that going to heaven is not a guarantee, unless you know Christ. Only God knows if we will be reunited with Grandma and Grandpa again in heaven, though of course we hope that they are both there!
At this, we were surprised when Kylee started crying. "No! They have to be in heaven, they can't be gone forever!!" She exclaimed, which allowed us the opportunity to talk about the importance of sharing the good news of Jesus with others.
As we were going to bed, the boys picked out sports books to read. Kylee desperately cried, "No, boys, you must read this book so that you'll know Jesus! You have to know Jesus so that you can go to heaven with me!" She wanted to replace the sports book with a Christmas book about baby Jesus.
The next morning came and we had a tearful good-bye, at least for me. As Jim and I later sat at the airport I was still teary and told him how difficult it was for me to be away from my kids. "They are my whole life right now - I spend nearly every moment caring for their physical, emotional and spiritual needs, what am I supposed to do with myself now?" Jim was so wonderful to me as he explained all the reasons that he fell in love with me and before long he had me laughing again. I vowed in my heart to enjoy my time alone with him as much as possible, no matter how much I missed my little ones.
After a very relaxing flight without children, we had a wonderful reunion with Jim's parents before he whisked me away on a surprise overnight anniversary getaway to Laguna Beach. It was wonderful!!
Mom and Dad Root
Our room
Our view
Enjoying our time together
Spending time with adorable new nephew Trent David and Jim's sisters' family
Some of the family that were able to make it out to the memorial service
The memorial service was a wonderful time! We really enjoyed getting to see many family members that are spread out all over the United States. There is definitely a deep faith within almost everyone. We had great times of talking, remembering, reflecting and getting to know one another at deep levels. It was a rare and treasured opportunity!
Our good friends Edith and Mervin, who are expecting their first child
The beautiful mountain view on our last day in CA
We had a great time, and I rarely let go of my husband's hand during the whole trip. We were fed delicious food, had relaxing accommodations and great times of fellowship with friends and family. I was so grateful we were able to go. I knew the kids were in the hands of wonderful, trusted friends. However, I was eager to get back to the kids, and loved the joyful celebration of being together again. In the end, our separation from them allowed me to come back refreshed, renewed and much more appreciative of them, even in the moments of tantrums, whining and incessant demands.
Here the boys are the day after - they won't let me put them down!
We had a huge snowstorm today, so Ky got to stay home from school and play with her new horses.
Some deer sightings in the back yard
We loved watching the thick snow fall all day long!
2 comments:
We appreciate your updates very, very much! What an excellent way to stay in touch. Thanks for keeping us in the loop! And we, too, will soon be "leaving on a jet plane" and swooping in to remind your kids in person that we love them. Looking forward to seeing each of you within the week!
Nana and Papa
Thanks Tee! I kept thinking of you this last weekend and was anxiously checking your blog site for your posts and photos. I'm so glad you and Jim got some much needed time together! Way to go Tee! I know it wasn't easy to leave the kiddos. I'm sure they've grown some because of it! I love you! Love, Sheesh
Post a Comment