While driving home from MOPS one day, Colson saw a yellow car (his favorite color) passing us. "Mommy! A lellow race car! Can you get him?" He asked with wide, excited eyes. I smiled as I thought of my mini van racing down the highway to catch up with a little yellow "race car" and then explained that it would be too hard for me to do.
Not taking no for an answer, Cole said, "Maybe Jesus can help us, Mommy!" Not wanting to defeat the hope he felt, I suggested he pray. Though praying about beating a race car may sound like a silly thing to do, I hope that my kids will learn that they can come to God with anything, big or small. At just 3 years old they must know that the concerns of their little hearts matter to the God that loves them and created them. "Ok, I pray!"
I looked ahead and the yellow car was stopped at a red light. There was no way that I'd make it to the red light before it turned green, but somehow, without speeding, I made it to the light just before it changed and in the lane adjacent to the yellow car, was able to continue through the intersection. "You did it, Mommy!" Cole shrieked, "You beat the lellow race car! Fank you Jesus!"
***
One of our friends was talking about a car accident he was in and Colson must have been paying attention because the next several days his little match box cars and airplanes kept "having accidents" and crashing into each other. "Mommy! They have anudder accident!" He'd exclaim.
"Oh no, are the people OK?" I would ask, with mock concern.
"No, I fink they got hurt. Will you pray for dem?" He asked completely serious.
Again, convincing myself that praying about pretend people who were in a pretend accident was important to teaching my little boy about faith and prayer, I said "OK, let's pray." And we knelt beside the crashed cars and prayed for the people to be OK.
Kaden has always been my silly one and it is often hard to get him to be serious. Lately, I've noticed him being very sweet and tender with babies which melts my heart. One night, I heard crying coming from the boys room and Colson was screaming, "My have a bloody nose!" He often does suffer bloody noses and they have come to scare him. I went into the room and turned on the light and scooped Cole into my arms.
"It's OK, buddy, no blood. It's just running a little bit," and I used a tissue to wipe it away. Kaden then started getting out of his bed and I told him to get back into bed (once they start getting up it can be really difficult to get them settled down and quiet again).
"But, Mommy, I want to sing to Colson!" Kaden explained to me. I was so touched by his thoughtfulness that I let him. He stood next to Cole's bed and sang ever so sweetly, "Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are weak but He is strong. Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me! Yes, Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so!"
***
On Christmas morning Kaden jumped into my bed to cuddle. "Merry Christmas!" I whispered in his ear.
He responded, "Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday to Jesus, Mommy!"
I overheard Kylee reciting one of her Bible verses from Cubbies, "Evening, morning and noon I cry out..." from Psalm 55. Then she turned to her baby doll and explained, "Not just in the day time or at meal time or at bedtime, but any time we talk to God He listens!"
***
The other night we met Jim for dinner at Panera Bread, where he stayed to work with a partner while we drove home. "Mommy, will you please pray for Daddy, that he won't slip on the ice when he comes home?" Kylee asked as we drove. Kaden immediately answered Kylee's request as he prayed, "Dear God, please help Daddy not slip on ice in his car. Amen!"
2 comments:
Oh Tee, how precious to see little hearts tender toward the God who died for him and the people he made and loves!
Post a Comment