The other day, Colson said something to me in a very polite way and I praised him for it. "That because my practicing self-control, Mommy!" he nodded with bright eyes and a big smile.
"Really? Good job, Buddy!" I answered with a hug, secretly thinking why he didn't practice self control more often. :O) But then, I thought about how often I fall short of practicing self control myself. There are more times than I can count when my frustrations with my little ones are expressed in a raised voice or an irritated tone. And many other times when I have failed miserably at "taking every thought captive", as Paul instructs in 2 Corinthians 10:5.
It was this statement by my brand new 3 year old that challenged me to practice more self control and discipline in my own life. Certainly, if he can commit to practicing self control, then I, as an adult who knows better, can as well. These precious ones teach me so much!
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ya know, Tee....when I was around you guys when you were little munchkins, I learned so much spiritually. I often thought about the Father who loves us and the patience and love He has for us. The family is a great metaphor for teaching us about God and our relationship with him. Hang in there, Territa....you're a great Mommy.
Thanks for that verse, T -- I was talking to God about the very issue of having discipline in my thought life just a few minutes ago. I miss out on so much because I don't walk close to Him every day.
ILY!
Dad B.
Post a Comment