Today I might as well have woken up and strapped roller skates to my feet. It's been that kind of day! A million places to go and barely enough hours in the day to get it done... I'm glad that we don't live like this every day!
We awoke early and truly worked as a team to get the kids dressed, fed and out the door by 7:30am. Jim followed behind me as we slipped and slid along the snow glistened roads to the Waukesha County Police Department for our 8AM fingerprinting appointment. The kids certainly enjoyed watching all the police men in full attire filing through the lobby, though Cole wondered why they didn't keep any toys there. I just kept staring at the clock wondering what was taking so long as the minute hand all too quickly made it's way south. I told Jim we needed to call Ky's school, as we would certainly be late. We laughed as we thought of having to explain, "I'm sorry that Kylee will arrive late. We are detained at the Waukesha County Police Department!" Never mind telling them that we were there as part of the foster home licensing process!
But, just as soon as I grabbed the cell phone, we were called back. It was 8:30am and I rushed through my fingerprints just as Cole shouted out that he had to pee!! So, I took all the kids with me while Jim got fingerprinted. I was surprised to find a urinal in the ladies bathroom, but without thinking much about it, I quickly helped both my boys make use of it. "Does this thing flush?" Kaden asked. "I have no idea," I answered truthfully, "I have never used one before!" And while we were washing hands I heard my husband's concerned voice, "Uh, Tee, do you know you're in the men's restroom?" What!?!?! Maybe the urinal should have clued me in. Embarrassed, I rushed the kids out of there and thanked God that He kept all the police men from having the need to use the bathroom for those few moments!
Once the kids were hurried back outside in zero degree weather and buckled safely in their seats, Jim and I took off in separate directions. I zig zagged along, hoping to beat the clock and miraculously get Kylee to school in time. It didn't happen. I apologized profusely to Kylee as we pulled up 10 minutes late, but was grateful that there was a bus also just as late, so Kylee just walked right inside with the other students. Perfect! I told her I would email her teacher and explain. I could just imagine my 4 year old describing to her teacher the reasoning for her first tardy...something about the policemen and fingerprints.
Afterwards, the boys and I zipped along to our insurance agent's office. We again shuffled in and out and got the necessary paperwork signed to prove auto and homeowners coverage to the fostering agency. The boys were excited to be offered candy, and joyfully sucked along as I drove off to register Kylee for school next year. I looked in my rear view mirror and smiled at my boys. They'd had such a busy morning, but they were just content as could be, bouncing along to the music on the radio. I thanked them for being such troopers and promised we'd stop soon to just relax and enjoy each other.
And, that we did! After we registered Kylee at Dixon Elementary and stopped at the library to return books, we pulled into Panera Bread for some bagels and cocoa. It was 9:45AM and our 6th stop of the day. Poor dears. We got all the "Ooohs and aaaahs" from the elderly individuals already seated inside as I marched my little matching guys towards the counter. I smiled as I passed and thought about saying, "Just wait," but decided to give the boys a chance at proving me wrong. Oh how I wish they would have! Before long, there were bear claw crumbs scattered everywhere, Kaden had tipped himself over and backwards in the chair (met with huge gasps from all those observing), spit his cocoa out all over the table and front of his shirt yelling, "It's too hot!" and then knocked the whole cup over while I was cleaning up his first mess. I looked at my muffin and coffee sitting there uneaten - would I ever get the chance?
Two bites and three sips into my treats, an elderly couple came over and started asking questions about my boys. They were such kind people and had many stories to tell of their own grandchildren and their one great grandchild due any day. We chatted for awhile until Colson yelled, "I've gotta go poo poo!" Do 3 year old boys know how to talk in hushed tones?? "I'm sorry," I told the couple, "I suppose I must get going." The kind woman smiled knowingly and said, "I had 5 of my own, it really does go fast." In that very moment, it was the perfect reminder. No matter how embarrassed I was by my little guys with their spills, falls and hollers of impending poo poo, they would only be doing this for a little while. Before long, I will be the one embarrassing them some way or another! "Thank you, you're absolutely right," I told the wise woman as I bundled the boys, then headed for the bathroom.
The day continued as we drove to pick up Kylee, then returned home to eat lunch before getting Ky ready for her first dance class. We just returned home and all the kids are now resting. I should start dinner and prepare for our little friend, Jacob's, arrival. We'll be watching him this evening while his parents go out on a date. It's been a busy one, but it's starting to slow down so that we can take the time to enjoy one another and this blessed life He's given us! And at the end of the day, I hope that my kids can somehow forget that mommy used the men's restroom - I've received several reminders of my embarrassing endeavor already today!!
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment