Sunday, January 13, 2008

A true mothering moment

As any mother would know, it's nearly impossible to find time alone. Tonight was such a typical example of one such ordinary occurrence. Jim is out running errands and I find myself surprised to have all three of my children delightfully entertaining themselves - Kylee in the play room with the horses and the boys in their bedroom with a big felt book. Enjoying the moment of not having any immediate needs to be met, I grab my Bible and lesson and plop down onto my bed. Just seconds into reading, I hear two sets of little footsteps padding down the hallway and into my room. They ask where Daddy is and want to know if they can play race cars on the bed while I study. Of course. The boys race to the playroom to get their cars and when they return I can tell they are trying hard to drive quietly so that I can finish my study. However, it is not long before I have multiple race cars driving up and down my legs and back (I was lying on my stomach), then 2 little boys sitting on my back pretending to ride a horse, and finally 2 little boys jumping off of my back and crashing onto the mattress below, hooting and hollering all the while. I am noticing their activity, but I dutifully continue to read my lesson and even attempt to write barely legible answers to the questions. Kylee hears all the commotion and runs into the room with a "Yippee!" and joins in the fun of walking on and jumping off of Mommy. Before too much time passes, I am forced to close my Bible and just start laughing right along with them. Some day I will actually know what it is like to have a moment alone, but I hope that time doesn't come too soon!

No comments: