Thursday, January 3, 2008

Strips of Mercy

Margaret Becker sings a song (All that I am) which has a line saying 'He wraps my aching wounds in strips of mercy.' I have always loved that line and have found it particularly applicable in the last couple days. I know that my moments of loneliness in the absence of family would be a welcomed "wound" to many who are currently enduring much heavier and harder issues, but nonetheless, it is heavy on my heart at this time and God has shown me over and over again that He knows me and He cares.

I was looking out the back door taking in the glorious landscape we've been blessed by and remembered how much our parents enjoyed the scene as well. That, inevitably, brought tears to my eyes as I longed to be near to them again. At that exact moment, the Christian radio started playing the song I Don't Want To Go
by Avalon and I was instantly reminded that I don't want to be anywhere that God has not willed for me to be. For the time being, that is in Brookfield, Wisconsin. As the song played, my tears continued. But this time they were because of the gratitude I felt for the care God showed in addressing the state of my heart.

In another moment, I was making up the guest bed with freshly laundered sheets and was saddened that I didn't have in mind the next person who would be visiting our home. Of course, I was pulled away from the task (imagine that with 3 preschoolers!) and didn't get back to it until later in the day. In that time, however, I had a phone conversation with my older sister, Brandee, who surprised me with the news that she and her daughter, Hailey, would be flying out for a visit in March! I couldn't hide the joy and excitement I felt at the news and was eager to finish making up the guest bed. This time, I got to imagine the guests who would be occupying the room and I thanked God for His tender mercy towards me.

And yet again, I stopped by the soccer park with the boys while Ky was at school and found a few friends gathered there. In an insecure and vulnerable moment, I felt a bit awkward, as if I were intruding on someone's playdate. We played for just a bit before having to leave to get Kylee, and I was frustrated at myself for feeling somewhat hurt. I wonder when I will mature enough in my faith to be above this. When we returned home and the kids scampered about as I prepared lunch, I noticed the flashing button on the answering machine. I pushed play and felt so much comfort from the precious voice of an older woman who is a mentor mom in my MOPS group. She had called to encourage me and to let me know I was being thought about and prayed for.

Oh how God used each of those events to wrap my wounds in His mercy! I'm just one person in a great big world. Someone with minor hurts in a world full of pain and suffering. But yet He chooses to be gracious, tender and merciful towards me and comfort me with His presence in each of those moments no matter how selfish or pitiful they may seem. I am forever grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for adding flesh and bone to the words "strips of mercy". I admire your attitude, honesty, and vulnerability.

your old dad