Friday, March 7, 2008

Seize the Day

"Seize the day, seize whatever you can, 'cuz life slips away just like hour glass sand."

The words to this Carolyn Arends song back in the days of my youth have been running through my head all week long as I've been preparing for my little girl to turn 5. I feel as though I've heeded the advice of Mom's who have gone before me and have tried my best to just treasure and enjoy my little ones while they're yet little, but somehow the time still has flown by. The baby girl I brought home just (what feels like) yesterday now can memorize scripture, go to school, carry on delightful conversation, show compassion to the lost and needy, give advice on doing the right thing, say things like, "What is going on here?" or "Well... isn't that interesting!?" or "Mom! You're the best! This is fantastic!" and can also dream about her future. She is amazing and I thank God every day that He allowed me to be the mommy to this precious child. Though I look so forward to watching her grow up and achieve all that she aspires to do, there's a part of me that really wants to keep her young and small. When I asked her if I could just keep her 4 years old, she said, "Well, even if you say I'm just 4 I will still have a birthday and I would still turn 5 anyway!" Even my little girl can remind me to seize each day because there is nothing you can do to freeze or stop time!











We started off her day with a very sweet "Happy Birthday" song from the boys who got as close as they could to their big sister. She is doing her typical tender thing with them, stroking their cheeks. She's been doing this as long as I can remember.

After she was all done getting ready I let her open 1 gift. She was delighted to find horses!!


Then we were off to school, where the boys and I got to spend the entire 2 1/2 hours. First, I was helping the teachers then I got to serve the birthday cake that Kylee picked out.




After cake, Kylee got to have her sharing time, showing the class her photos and sharing her favorite stuffed animal (a horse from Nana) with the class.


Then the class got to dance around and play games of Kylee's choosing. It was so much fun!




The rest of the day was spent talking to family members on the phone, opening gifts, going out to dinner and preparing for her princess/pony party tomorrow. Happy Birthday my sweet, sweet girl!!!

No comments: