At that time Jesus said, 'I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure' (Matthew 11:25-26)
I am always amazed at the child like faith I see displayed in my children. As I watch my boys grow in maturity and understanding I am always so touched to hear their thoughts regarding spiritual matters. There are many truths that my little boys cling to already that I see consistently displayed in their words and actions. To start quite simply, they have become aware of how to spell God. When we practice letters and we get to the "G" they declare, "That's God's letter!" It just makes me laugh.
More importantly, they know that God made everything and that He made everything beautiful. They know, too, that they were made by Him and that they are made in amazing ways! If one boy calls the other a not-so-nice name, the offended will often say, "No I'm not, 'cuz God made me in amazing ways!" I wish I had that same confidence!
Although they can be a bit legalistic about praying before eating, they do know that God always hears them whenever they talk to Him. For example, we have to cross train tracks to go to Kylee's school. The boys are always hopeful that we will see a train, though it rarely happens. When they are surprised by a passing train, they will shout out, "Thank you, God!" And I have often heard spontaneous prayers in the back seats asking God if He could please send some more trains our way. I love that they are not afraid to bring anything to Him.
Both Cole and Kaden, within discussion and in attempting to memorize John 3:16, have also learned that Jesus is God's son. Today, Kaden's version of the verse was this (with italics indicating much added volume):
"For God so loved the whole wide world that He gave His only Son, who is Jesus! For whosoever believes in Him in his heart will not die but will live forever in love!!"
They also know that Jesus had to die on the cross, though they don't yet grasp why it was necessary. Of course, I don't really expect them to understand that yet, but I am excited for the day when they will realize that Christ's death on the cross was to save each of them personally from their inability to live a life worthy of God on their own. And that His death and resurrection allows them a life on earth filled with hope that will not disappoint (no matter what comes their way) and a life in heaven that will be beyond anything they can imagine.
Frequently, my boys will announce to me that, "I love God!" or "I love Jesus!" Afterwards they sometimes inform me that because of this they intend to be kind and good and self-controlled. The other day I was surprised when Colson said, "Mommy, I love Jesus! Can I marry him because I love him?" Kaden was quick to announce that he could not marry Jesus because Jesus was a boy, not a girl. After a little discussion between the two over the matter, Colson decided that he would just marry me, since I was a girl after all. So simple and matter of fact. I just can't get enough!
Lastly, my boys understand that the Bible is God's word and that all the stories within are true. Of course, learning the truths, promises and expectations revealed throughout will take a lifetime of learning, but they've started! And for that I'm excited!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, Terra, what a wonderful job you're doing in raising your children in the knowledge of our precious Lord. Their lives here on earth will be full of His joy! We, as parents, can't want for more than that for our children. My grandchildren are sooo blessed to have you for their mother.
Love you,
Mom R.
Oh my. I am just cracking up at the "marrying Jesus" question. It's hard for their little minds to get things figured out. And they're only three! I wrote in my diary as a little girl that it was hard to be like Jesus because he never would have had a crush on the boy I had a crush on. :-)
I love the solution to the "marrying Jesus" problem. Oh well, I'll just marry mom. She's a girl.
Post a Comment