Tuesday, August 26, 2008

I did not need this today...



As I was trying to perfect the crust of my homemade apple pie, I heard a shriek emerge from the playroom in the basement. "Mom! Come quick!" Kylee screamed. I rushed downstairs, scared to discover the source of her screams. Then I saw it - my 3 1/2 year old twin boys absolutely covered in bright pink chapstick, laughing gregariously over their own appearances. At that moment, when I still had to finish dinner for the family, tidy up the house and bake the pie for neighbors who would be joining us for dessert in an hour, I felt like crying. "I don't have time for this right now, boys!" I declared as I picked up the empty tube of chapstick and surveyed the hot pink streaks in the new carpet. "Put your hands up and follow me upstairs, " I commanded... and fortunately for them, they did!

However, as I led them out the sliding glass door and asked them to sit on the back step until I could find the time to clean them up, I had to force a stern face to let them know I was not pleased. As I looked into their pink faces and noticed their hands still raised above their heads, I started laughing and finally asked Kylee to go and get the camera. I knew that I would appreciate some photos in the future. Such are the adventures in motherhood!!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, T -- Is that what was going on while I was on the phone with you?!?! Thanks for your (eventually) patient attitude with your boys! Love, Dad

Jan said...

What a HOOT! They look like those football fans who paint their faces with the colors of their favorite team. At least it's not like my friend, Joan, who said her little girls came to the door of the house after playing outside and somehow they'd gotten into bright blue enamel paint. It was all over their faces and in their hair. LOVED the photos. Ah the joys of childhood and motherhood!

Kate said...

...the difference between boys and girls... ahh! it cracks me up!

Kristi Smith said...

Hey Terra!

Grandma and I were cracking up as we read this blog! Thank you so much for taking the pictures so we could see them and laugh!

Love,
Kristi with GG