Monday, August 4, 2008

Jim's Birthday weekend


Early Saturday morning, we were off to Devil's Lake in Baraboo, WI. We stopped at our camp site first to set up, then headed off to the lake!


Wow! I guess this is where everyone in Wisconsin goes when the snow melts!



Kaden's so excited!


Kylee just LOVED swimming around!
She's my waterbaby!!


Daddy did most of the swimming with the kids while I sat with the baby, but Jim caught me in the water too.


Off they go!
Daddy and the kiddos rented a boat to go out on the lake. Baby's weren't allowed, so baby and I took a nice stroll and got some ice cream while they boated. They had a great time! And I enjoyed a little quiet time too.


We headed back to the campsite to roast hot dogs for dinner.

Ky wanted to sit by Daddy because, "He's the Birthday Boy!!"

And smores followed, of course!!


Kaden with his marshmellow face


Colson showing off his own creation - a marshmellow squished between chocolate squares!


Enjoying time together!!


Bedtime!!

Cole entertaining the baby


The kids were so excited to sleep in their sleeping bags in the tent!!


Kid's being goofy in the morning!! (Cole has the swollen eye - another mosquito bite!)



One last swim before heading home.

Years ago in premarital counseling, Jim and I learned that research showed 2 of the habits of lifelong marriages included a strong faith and going camping! As we camped out this weekend, I thought about that several times. We were privileged to spend time together as a family without the distraction of phones, tv, computers, housework, etc. We talked, laughed and played. We worked as a team to set up camp, make meals and pack up. All these things lead to strong relationships and communication. Each of us LOVED our time together!

2 comments:

Gretchen Ruddick said...

That looks like so much fun! You guys are building such great family memories! I've read that, too, about how camping is a key that leads to strong family relationships.
Miss you guys!
-Gretchen
P.S. I love the kids' camouflage sleeping bags (:

Kristi Smith said...

Hmmm...my blog subscriptions are all weird. I'll get two updates for a friend's blog and none for yours!

Anyway, glad I double checked. Looks like a fun camping trip!

Does Cole always react like that to mosquito bites? That would be sad.

Love you guys!