Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kylee's Daddy date







In our home, one of the greatest rewards is getting a date with Daddy! Sometimes our kids work towards Daddy dates with sticker charts, good behavior and chores, and other times dates occur spontaneously, when Daddy feels the need to spend quality one on one time with a particular child. Whatever the reason, when a child knows they get to spend alone time with their daddy, they are filled with joy and excitement and they love to start planning their date. I just love it!

Kylee recently asked Daddy for a night out, and he was more than happy to oblige. She started her preparation by laying out all her dresses on her bedroom floor. She then found her Daddy, asked him to close his eyes, and held his hands as she led him to her room and said, "Now open them!"
"Which one would you like me to wear tonight, Daddy?"

Once he had made the selection, she told him he couldn't come back into her room until she was all ready. "But you can go and find a fancy shirt to wear tonight, OK Daddy?" To her, a "fancy" shirt is basically any shirt with a collar, and she loves it when he dresses up for dates!

After I helped to create pigtails and fasten jewelery as requested, Kylee was off to the bathroom to apply lip gloss for her special occasion. "I think he'll love it, Mommy!" She says, as she uses a brush to perfect the silkiness of her pigtails. "OK, I'm ready!"

As is customary in such an event as this, I make the announcement that the princess is coming and she descends the stairs while her Daddy (and sometimes brothers) stand in staged awe. "You look absolutely beautiful, Kylee! I can't wait to spend time with you tonight!" He wraps her in his arms and she soaks it all in. She is in heaven and I blink back the tears that have formed.
I love that Kylee has a Daddy that knows how much his little girl needs to feel treasured by him, and therefore, she and Jim get to have so many moments like this in life!!!