Not knowing what to expect, I was filled with some trepidation as we were led to the community room where we'd spend 4 hours supervising the college girls. As we met each of the girls, had conversations with them and watched them interact with our children, I started to realize how blessed we were to be there with these 3 young women. Despite their developmental delays, these girls were quite functional and were able to live vibrantly, laugh uncontrollably and love each other unconditionally... more so than I feel capable of doing at times. All the "what ifs" and "should haves" that I contemplate in my day to day life didn't seem to affect them. And somehow, they were able to live beyond the people pleasing temptations that I feel tormented by. They were completely confident and secure in who they were, no matter how they measured up to the rest of the world. Such a purity that is so often unseen. God used these young women in my life. I was inspired.
On Thursday night, we were invited to an anniversary banquet of Hope Street Ministry, which is another incredible ministry that provides shelter, rehabilitation and education for individuals who suffer from drug and alcohol addictions. We heard amazing testimonies from some of the residents that just bring you to tears... men and women completely controlled by their addictions, full of despair and desperation, who were totally transformed by the knowledge that there is Someone who cares deeply for them, Someone who rescued them. Each of these individuals had felt worthless, hopeless, helpless and then were introduced to Christ and felt worth, hope and life. Their love and gratitude for Him just radiated from their faces as they sang praises such as this:
Who am I that you are mindful of me,
That you hear me when I call?
Is it true that you are thinking of me?
How you love me,
It's amazing!
That you hear me when I call?
Is it true that you are thinking of me?
How you love me,
It's amazing!
With true authenticity and a purity of faith that seems rare these days, these beloved people had no problem raising their hands in praise while tears of deep rooted gratitude rolled down their cheeks. I, too, was so moved to tears - tears of joy because it was amazing to witness and tears of sorrow because I realized how I far too often take for granted the amazing sacrifice Christ has made for me. Once again, I was so inspired, challenged and encouraged by these incredible individuals.
No comments:
Post a Comment