Monday, September 1, 2008

Dear Kylee


Today is the eve of your first day of kindergarten. It is, amazingly so, the one year anniversary of the day you prayed and asked Jesus to be your Savior. Oh, dear Ky, what a year it has been! I have had the incredible opportunity as your mommy to watch as your faith has grown. It has been so exciting to witness the Spirit's work in your life as you act out your faith in the world and in loving the people around you. You, precious one, have been blessed with such a caring and compassionate heart that, no doubt, will continue to lead you into action all the days of your life.

Already, I have seen that compassionate heart of yours filled with concern for those in your school, neighborhood and family that don't know Jesus and the hope He offers us; I have followed you to the Rescue Mission where you desired to serve the poor and homeless - and you lit up their world while you were there; I have witnessed your real desire to help poor and orphaned children in the world, heard your prayers for them, and have been able to help you pack up boxes of gifts to send their way; I have had the opportunity to drive you to nursing homes and to our church because you strongly desired to go and serve; and I have seen the tears form in your eyes when you witness a sick, markedly aged, or hurting individual in our community. I have also been blessed by the way you have completely embraced foster care and especially the little baby boy in our home, loving him so fervently. And I know how much it has bothered you that although you're filled with God's Spirit, you sometimes can still do "naughty things." All this, and yet you are only 5. Kylee, I am so proud of you.

Even though I've seen your maturity over the year, the fact that you're starting kindergarten makes me more aware of the passing time. I cannot believe that 5 years have passed so quickly! My baby girl is growing up and launching her reluctant mommy into a new stage of parenthood. If I'm honest, I am having a hard time letting you go... I know, this is only kindergarten we're talking about, but it feels like a major mark in your life. I am doing my best to stay positive, smile and encourage you as you take this big step, though doing so conflicts significantly with what I feel inside. It's hard to help you to grow up when I want, so badly, to keep you small. But as I've told you many times before, "it's not always easy to do what is right."

As much as I value education, and am excited for you to start the school year and learn new things, I rest assured that the most important things in life you have already learned - to love God with all your heart and soul and mind and to love and serve others. You know this in such a pure and innocent way, a way I can only hope to emulate. Bringing joy to the Father's heart, as you have, is the greatest thing you can do with your life!

I love you so much, baby girl! And I can't tell you enough how much I LOVE being your mommy. I'm so excited for another year to see how God uses you to light His world.

forever,
your mommy




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kylee,

From my own interactions with you I can see how soft your heart is toward others, and how you love God, even as you struggle to figure out what He is like. I look forward to watching you grow into a young woman who continues to love God and people with all your heart.

Love, Papa B.